xxiii. bean

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ─── bean

New York, 1st May 2008

"𝔜ou okay there, Luke?" Ellie leant down, running her hand through her husband's blond hair, as he traced his fingers around the small bump that was beginning to appear on her stomach. "You're being weirdly quiet, and in Ethan's words, that means you're planning something."

"I'm always planning how to kill Ethan." Luke chuckled to himself, looking up at her with a soft smile.

"I know you are." Ellie tugged his hand up, pulling him closer so that she could curl into his side and press a gentle kiss to his collarbone. "But what's really going on in that handsome head of yours? No sugar coating things either."

He was quiet for a moment, not saying anything as he thought.

"I think...I think I want to try and talk to Annabeth." Ellie's eyebrows furrowed as she glanced up at Luke.

"Yeah?"

"Bean has kind of put some things into perspective for me," He mumbled, burrowing his head into Ellie's curly hair as he talked. "I want Bean to know her, to know my side of the family, just as they will yours. So, I want to talk things out with Annabeth."

"I'm so proud of you." She smiled, squeezing his waist tightly, as he ran a hand through her tangled hair. His fingers teased out the knots as he smiled at her praise.

"I think I might also try and quit my job." Ellie's head shot back, almost hitting Luke, as she watched him with wide eyes. 

"Really? Like, you're not joking?" He shook his head, the shock wearing off Ellie as she noted the pain from where she'd yanked on her hair. "Oh, that's amazing! I'll finally be able to sleep easy at night knowing that you're safe!"

He chuckled, as Cai shifted on the bottom of the bed, huffing in annoyance. He stood, shaking his fur out before flopping down in between the pair.

"I want to be here for you and Bean." She grinned, running her hand through Cai's fur as the German Shepherd puppy curled closer to her. It had been clear that he was definitely going to be Ellie's dog, more than the others in the house, but Luke didn't mind. It meant she had an extra level of protection. "We should start thinking about a nursery."

"We should. One of my best friends, Beth, is an art student," Ellie began to explain as Luke nodded, listening closely to her words. "She wants to do a mural style painting for her final piece, and I don't know, maybe we could let her loose in the nursery?"

"Whatever makes you happy, I'm happy with. You know best." Ellie pressed a gentle kiss to Luke's lips at the words, smiling as she pulled away.

"You're too sweet."