xxix. little kicks

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 ─── little kicks

New York, 30th July 2008

"ℑ feel like a beached whale." Luke looked over at his wife, who was lying on the sofa and staring at her stomach with annoyance. "I look like a beached whale as well."

"Els, you don't," Luke hummed, pressing a kiss to Ellie's forehead and placing a bowl of ice cream on top of the bump. "You're carrying Beans and you look stunning."

"Beans are making me fat," Ethan hissed through his teeth at that comment, as Ellie turned round to glare at him. "I invited you into this house, which means I can kick you straight back out of it Ethan. Try me, bitch."

"Then, who would make you smoothies, help take Cai on walks and tie your shoes for you?" Ethan questioned, hurrying to back away. He didn't want to get on Ellie's bad side, not when she was pregnant and already stressed.

"My husband or my other favourite."

"You shouldn't have favourites!" Luke called from the kitchen, where he was putting Cai's food into a bowl. 

"Shut up, Luke!" He jolted upright, slamming his head onto the counter top above him as Ethan snickered quietly. "No one asked for an opinion."

"Di immortals," Luke cursed, rubbing the back of the head as he looked back over at Ellie, who was eating her ice cream in a huff. "Ellie!"

"What?"

"You're going to get brain freeze! Slow down." She did reluctantly, as Luke walked over and pulled her up from the couch. "Come on, let's go out."

"Why?"

"So that you don't end up killing one of us," Luke replied, still rubbing the back of his head. "Ethan and Alabaster are more than capable of watching the dog, isn't that right boys?"

"Yup," Alabaster appeared, smiling as Ethan hit him over the back of the head for no good reason at all. "Ow."

"And if they burn the house down or kill one another." Luke turned to them, his eyes flashing with a warning as he slid a dagger into his jacket pocket. "I'll kill the other one myself."

The pair gulped, as Luke glared at them one more time, before leading his pregnant wife out of the house.

"See you boys," Ellie called, a large grin on her face at the prospect of going shopping, which was a stark difference from earlier. "Don't die."

"We'll try not to," Ethan slammed the door closed, as Luke opened the car and helped his wife in, buckling her seatbelt for her.

"I'm not an invalid," Luke hopped into the driver's seat, turning the car around as the gates opened in front of them.