xxvi. dog walks

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱 ─── dog walks

Central Park, 27th May 2008

𝔖tepping out of the car, Ellie soothed her bump as she opened the boot for Cai. The German Shepherd was getting a lot bigger now, nearly mid-thigh, but was still just as gentle as a pup with her.

"Come on, Cai, let's go see the girls!" The dog leant into her side, as Ellie pulled her shades down over her eyes, hiding them from the glaring sun, and locked her car, taking off into the busy park with her dog.

She was meeting her friends to tell them about the whole babies thing, because she'd been really unsure of how to break the news. Ever since that meeting with her mother, Ellie hadn't felt truly right about being pregnant. It had put a dampener on her happiness, knowing that she couldn't even stand up to her. But, both Ethan and Luke had encouraged her to tell her friends, so that Ellie could feel happy about being pregnant once more. 

Turning left towards one of the cafes in Central Park, she pulled Luke's lighter hoodie so that it sat better over her bump and didn't give it away immediately. Cai trotted by her side, sniffing at the plants and other people as they meandered along.

"Bella!" Looking up, Ellie grinned at the sight of Emily, who was waving her over enthusiastically. "I'm so glad you could make it, and is this Cai? Oh my god, he's so cute!"

Emily ignored hugging Ellie so that she could go straight in and cuddle the dog, though Cai didn't seem to mind, adoring the attention that the brunette woman was giving him. Ellie laughed at her friend's antics.

"Oh, you're so cute. Yes you are. You are," She snorted at Emily's words, as the girl looked at her. "What? Why are you wearing a hoodie in May?"

"Shall we go and see the others?" This saved her from having to answer the other question.

"Sure, sure." Emily sighed, releasing Cai from her grip so that the pair could join the others at the table that was a little further away.

Beth sat at one end, stirring her green tea slowly, as she listened carefully to the others. In typical Beth fashion, her blonde hair was pulled up on top of her head using a pen, and Ellie still didn't know how that worked, even if she had been friends with the blonde for near to four years now.

Opposite her sat Minji, who looked impeccably put together. So much so, that Ellie felt slightly awkward in her husband's hoodie, maternity jeans and sneakers that she'd stolen from Ethan (he didn't know that bit thought). Whilst Minji often looked like she was about to yell at someone, she was actually a lot of fun and the most laid back of the group. The only reason her resting bitch face was so good was because, in her words, 'she wanted to terrify boys so much that they ran away from her in fear'.