xxi. shelters

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞 ─── shelters

New York, 8th March 2008

"𝔖top being slow! Luke, come on!" Ellie grinned at her husband as he locked the car doors and hurried back to her side, immediately threading their hands together. "I'm so excited."

"Really? I couldn't tell," Luke replied, sarcasm laced heavily into his tone, as Ellie practically bounced around him in a circle. "I'm excited too."

"Great!" She replied, bouncing up to kiss on the lips, before dragging him over to the doors of the animal shelter. "I'm so glad that we're doing this. I always wanted a dog, but my parents were super strict about it."

Luke dug his feet in to stop her before they could get through the door, staring down at his smaller wife. "Remember, we're just looking. Not adopting, only looking."

"Got it," She grinned, before he held the door open for her to enter. The receptionist looked up at the pair, smiling at the sight of them.

"What can I do for you today?"

"We're here to look at the dogs," Luke smiled down at her, wrapping his arms around Ellie's shoulder once more, as the receptionist nodded and began to give them directions to the kennels. 

"Come on, Ellie, let's go and look," She nodded, still vibrating with excitement, as they entered the kennels. Immediately, the sound of barking was heard, as the scent of dog filled the room. Ellie grinned once more, before releasing her hold on Luke, and running off to look around the kennels, her husband following along behind her.

He was being slow, meandering past each kennel as he read the description, smiling down at the furry animals.

"Luke, look at this one," Ellie cooed, her eyes wide as she looked down at the dog in the kennel ahead of her. "He's called Cai. Look at his floppy ear! Look at it! It's so cute!"

"Ellie, remember, we're just looking."

"You are so whipped," Ethan stood next to Luke, as they watched Ellie cuddle the German Shepherd puppy to her chest, grinning widely. "Completely, and utterly whipped."

"Shut up." Luke pushed the man causing Ethan to slap him on the shoulder in return.

"You brought her a dog."

"She's my wife," Luke replied, smacking the boy over the back of his head. Ethan couldn't reach the top of Luke's head. "Plus, have you tried saying no to her?"