epilogue one. birthdays

𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ─── birthdays

new york, 1st november 2026

"𝔐orning." Ellie knocked on her eldest's door, pushing it open to see Alex's tall form curling further into his bed. "Hi baby."

"Mom, it's too early." He groaned, glaring at her from over his covers as Ellie shrugged.

"It's actually 10." She stepped into the room, leaning down to press her lips to her son's head, brushing his blond hair from his eyes. "Happy birthday."

As much as Alex tried to stay mad with the woman, he couldn't.

"Thanks mom." Alex reached up, pulling her into a tight hug as Ellie grinned.

"I made pancakes." Ellie whispered. "For you and your sister."

"I'll get up." Alex sighed, already starting to sit up as Ellie patted his head and retreated to go and get her daughter. 

Wren was already awake, halfway through doing her skincare routine as she tamed her dark curls, that were an exact replica of Ellie's. Her stereo was blaring quiet music, bed made and window open, and Ellie couldn't help but chuckle at how different her two children were.

"Morning, Bean." Ellie called, entering the room and leaning down to press a kiss to Wren's head. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks mom." Wren beamed, and it was Luke's smile that stared back at Ellie. She grinned, kissing her daughter's head once more. "You made pancakes?"

"I did."

"With bacon?"

"And eggs." Ellie winked. "Oh, and your brother's here as well."

"Al?" Wren got up, pulling a hoodie on as she followed her mom out of her room and down the stairs. 

In the kitchen, Alabaster was nursing a cup of coffee, his dark hair a mess of curls atop his head. As they entered, he looked up and grinned.

"Wrennie." The girl winced at her nickname, but accepted a hug from the tall man all the same. "Happy Birthday. Where's your evil twin?"

"Asleep." She rolled her eyes. "You know him."

"I do. Takes after his mom." Ellie rolled her eyes as her children started to insult her, feeding her dogs quickly as she plated the food up. In the five minutes that took, her younger son had managed to find his way into the kitchen. Wren immediately began to bicker with her twin, as Alabaster touched her back gently. "How you doing? 

"You know, it never gets easier." Ellie whispered, not wanting the twins to pick up on how upset she was at that moment. "He would have been so excited."