xxii. reveals

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 ─── reveals

New York, 27th April 2008

"𝔗hat was amazing, Iris!" Ellie patted her stomach gently, a content grin on her face, as Luke wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Thanks for having us round."

"We missed having you over, Doll," Ava slumped back in front of them, placing a baby monitor onto the table as she watched them. Ellie's niece, Mia, had just gone to bed having wished to stay up to spend time with her Uncle Luke and Auntie Ellie. "Plus, thought now would be a good time to celebrate the wedding and all."

Luke and Ellie shared a glance, as Ava narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

"Unless there's something else you want to say."

"Might be best for Iris to be sitting down," Luke nodded at Ellie's words, tightening his grip on the girl beside him. She patted his arm soothingly, tracing his wedding band. "Don't want her fainting."

"Sitting down for what?" Iris had placed a cake down in front of them as she talked, her eyebrows raised in confusion. "What's going on?"

"Those two have some news apparently," Ava replied.

"Last time that happened, they were married," Luke and Ellie grinned sheepishly, both of them blushing and rubbing the back of their necks. "What is it? Is Ethan alright?"

"Yeah, Ethan's fine. It's something else." Ellie replied, looking up at Luke with a cocked eyebrow.

"Nope, you can tell them." Ellie grinned, squeezing his hand before turning to look back at her cousins. 

"Iris, Ava, I need you not to overreact."

"I would never." The trio all raised their eyebrows at Iris, who sighed and huffed, crossing her arms as Ava wrapped an arm around her once more. "Fine. What's going on?"

"There is a chance, not really a chance, we're kind of certain, but like you know, it's really funny cause like, I'm pregnant." There was a moment of shocked silence, as Luke turned to Ellie with a grin.

"So wonderfully worded, Ellie."

"Shut up!" All the blood had drained from Iris' face, as she looked at the pair in front of her with wide eyes.

"Your what?" Iris asked.

"Pregnant. You know, with child, bun in the oven..."

"Yeah, we got that part," Ava replied, her eyes wide as she turned to Iris. "Do you ever suddenly feel like you're growing old?"

"Yes," Ellie and Luke glanced at one and other and then back at the couple in front of them. "I'm only 27, I shouldn't feel like a 70 year old."

"Neither, I don't like it." Ava replied, pulling a face.