li. goodbyes

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞 ─── goodbyes

New York, 16th August 2009

𝔏uke heard it in his sleep, tugging on his hair and whispering in his ear. Kronos was calling all of his forces to him, and as much as Luke wished to sleep through, he was worried. When he opened his eyes, he was met with Ellie's curly hair and her slightly open mouth. She was fast asleep, as she normally was and Luke took a moment to memorise that before he woke her.

"Ellie." Luke woke her quietly, rubbing her thumb along her cheekbones as she yawned.

"Luke. What's going on? Are the kids up?" Ellie seemed to listen for crying as Luke shook his head.

"It's time." Ellie froze, turning to look up at him as she began to shake her head.

"No."

"Ellie-"

"No, Luke." Luke brushed the tears from the corner of her eyes, pushing her hair back from her face. "Luke, please. You only just got back. They don't need you. Please don't go. You don't have to go."

"Ellie-" Luke sighed. "I have to. I've got to protect you and Beans, remember?"

"We can run away?" Ellie put out the idea they had argued about for months now, still trying to cling desperately to the hope that Luke didn't have to go. He shook his head as she began to cry harder. "We can go. We still have time."

"Darling."

"We can just grab the car and leave, and he won't know." She was sobbing now, her breath coming out in short pants as she clung to him.

"They've already surrounded the city and are preparing to march. Ethan and me are the last few that they're waiting for." Luke rubbed her back, trying not to cry himself. "We've got to go, darling. But it'll be alright. We'll be home afterwards."

The lie came out of his mouth clumsily, and Luke hated that he was giving her false hope. If he told her the truth, she wouldn't let him go and Kronos would kill them.

"I don't want you to go." Her voice sounded so small, muffled by his shirt as he hummed. Carefully, he pulled her head back, taking in everyone of Ellie's features; the shape of her nose, the purse of her lips, the faint freckles that smattered across her cheeks, even the tears that were falling down her cheeks and the puffiness of her eyes. Even when she was sobbing, she was still the most beautiful woman in the world to him. "I need you here, with me."

"Luke." Ethan opened the door, already dressed in combat trousers and a long sleeved shirt. Ellie continued to sob as Ethan adjusted his eyepatch. "We've got to go."

"I want both of you here." Ellie sobbed, before holding her arm out for Ethan. The man smiled, reaching down to hold onto her, keeping her close as Luke managed to slip from her grip. He watched his best friend and wife, his heart sinking further. "Please stay."