N I N E

✨Oh, donut even✨

Oh, donut even

"Ah, what took you so long?" Mr. Blackstone said from behind me. The guy said "Oh, nothing. Just had to run back home and get a new suit to wear for my first day."

"Why?"

I silently begged the guy to not rat me, I'd do anything for him. I'd even clean out the coffee stain with my hands if only he keeps his mouth shut. His eyes were on me the whole time, jaw clenched and one hand inside the pocket of his slack.

He shakes his head "Anyway, I'm here father." He walks inside the room and Mr. Blackstone gets up and beams him to walk towards the table where Zara had the samples laid out. Mr. Blackstone introduced him to Zara first "Harvey, meet my fabric consultant, Zara. Brightest one when it comes to saving our asses. She knows everything about fabric." Zara smile and Harvey led out his hand to shake her hand but she stood straight, still with a smile. Mr. Blackstone chuckled "She doesn't shake hands with men. A religious thing. My respect." Harvey just gave her a curt nod and she gave him the same nod back.

Mr. Blackstone turned towards me "And this is my assistant, the one I told you about." His son nodded "Oh, I've met her. A very cold greeting it was." I stood up with an apologetic look on my face as I pull my hand towards him "Alana Stevenson." He shook my hand firmly "Harvey Blackstone." Mr. Blackstone said "She's the best assistant ever. Best when it comes to getting coffee and beating you at chess." I smile at him and then at son as he says "I've heard a lot about you. Especially when I loose to him and have to hear him talk for an hour about how good you are." I cringed but still put a smile as Mr. Blackstone laughed "You need to teach him how to win, Lana. I need good competition."

They turn around again and Mr. Blackstone points towards the samples "Now, that you won't be working from a different city or different branch but the main one, the heart in New York, show Zara what you know when it comes to fabrics." His eyes on the fabrics "There are two fabrics where Zara just told me to discontinue. Can you tell me which ones?" I walked to beside the table and Harvey glanced once at me and then at the samples. Looking hard, touching every sample. I looked up at Zara and at the smile on her lips because it was even a challenge for her. Nobody could ever beat her to this. Nobody.

He picked up the blue sample with white polka dots and by the wide smile on Zara's face, I knew he picked the wrong fabric. And then he picked the lavender silk one, which got Zara's head nodding. Harvey looked up at Zara as she smiled "He got one of it right." Mr. Blackstone clapped his son on the back twice like a proud father "Not bad. You'll learn." He looked at Zara "Ms. Ahmad, walk me out?" She nods her head and he says to me "If my son even gives you a little bit of trouble, you tell me, okay?" I chuckle and say "Yes, sir." But when I look behind him at Harvey staring at me, my eyes widen and I quickly add "I'm sure he'll be as nice as you." Mr. Blackstone chuckled at his son "Don't scare the girl. I don't want California all over again." Harvey nods his head at his father and Zara walks out with him.