F O R T Y S I X

✨I'm ready to see past all your mistakes because that's how much I'm in love with you✨

I'm ready to see past all your mistakes because that's how much I'm in love with you

I wait for him to come home.

I couldn't move from the stool for hours. Just held on to the pill bottle clenched in my hand. My head comes up with various results that I don't want to believe in.

The door opens and my back goes stiff. The first thing he notices is the tulips on the island. He smiles and makes his way to me. Kissing my temple and looked at the tulips again. "Gah, you make me feel all special, Curvy." His sweet sarcasm felt bitter for the first time.
He looks around his loft and then realizes "Did you clean this up?" The smile on his face was long gone. His gaze goes to his little painting corner and his jaw sets. I didn't expect that reaction honestly.
I nod in response and he's so quiet suddenly. Too quiet. He sighs and his eyes go to the counter where I bought him a new box of cereal because the old one was expired.
He huffs and walks to his fridge and opens it. Stocked. Not fully but with necessities.

He closes it and says without looking at me "Look, I appreciated it when you restocked the fridge last time I was not feeling well. I did. But you can't keep doing this, Lana. I don't like it." His voice was stern. I could notice the harshness he was holding back.

Maybe I shouldn't ask him about the pills. Maybe I should just stay quiet. That'll be better.

I'm about to put the pills in the pocket of my hoodie but I accidentally drop them. I didn't know the bottle cap was open because all the pills were splattered on the wood floor. He makes his way around the island to check up on me but stops a few feet away from me. Frozen suddenly. I look up and decided to ask "Why do you have these?" He smiles and shrugs as if it was nothing "They're stupid mints. There's nothing to it."

"I'm not dumb, Nicklaus." Yes, I am disappointed but I'm scared too. "Why do you have a bottle of unprescribed Valium?" I point at them "Are these what got you in the hospital? Are you on drugs?" Suddenly he looks scared as if a cat found itself near a moving car. I take the step "I'm not gonna be mad, Nick. I just need to know. It's okay if this is you. We can work it out. I can help. I'll try as much as I can, okay?"

Yes, drugs are a problem but instead of blaming him, I should help him first.

I saw his fist clench to his sides, his voice the calm before the storm "Are you snooping around my house, Lana?" And suddenly everything takes a 180 turn "Why have you restocked food in my house? Why did you clean everything? I didn't ask you. I didn't tell you to. I don't want you to."
I accidentally step on the pills and that was his last straw, crushed them under my weight "You are not my mother. You are not my wife. You should not care what I do with myself. You have no right to look around without my permission." I take steps toward him without caring about the pills anymore "I know. I'm sorry. But this is a great matter, Nick. Let me help you, okay?" I point at the pills again "This is not okay." I'm about to grab his hands but he steps back, raging at me, shouting at me "I'm not sick, Lana! I don't need sympathy. I don't need your help. I never asked for it!" My voice goes meek "Nick, please-"