N I N E T E E N

✨I'm an adult

I'm an adult. I am a grownup. But why do I act like a fifteen-year-old when I'm around you?

I'd be lying if I said that I was not looking forward to seeing Harvey at work. I don't know what this meant. I don't know what the kiss even meant. Whatever it meant, I couldn't stop thinking about it. His touch, his lips, his lusty voice, his smile... everything makes my body shiver.

For the first time in my life, I didn't know what to wear. I wanted to look good but not too chubby. I wanted to look pretty but not like I was trying too hard. I never cared about this. Yes, I liked making myself look presentable but never have I ever put in the effort. Like... I never pick lipsticks over lip balms. Or put eyeliners and mascara at the same time. It was always mascara only. Creepy, isn't it?

I decided on wearing this cute mustard-yellow dress that was shaped perfectly at the waist and the bottom was a little puffy. White sneakers because heels are never an option. For make-up, I put on the thinnest eyeliner I could ever do, mascara, some blush, and a peach-pink lipstick that complimented my pale skin. I put my long hair in a low ponytail with a side part. And these cute gold earstuds that my dad gave me on graduation day.

I smiled in the mirror and then walked out to my hungry Latino monster eating bacon and eggs. She looks up with her mouth full "How dare you to be so pretty?" I smiled "Stop." But inside I was hopping like tiger from Winnie the Pooh. She takes out her phone and says "Pose." Before my brain could even comprehend that word, she had already taken a picture of me. Shaking my head, I say "I'm going to work. You need anything?"

"Yes, bring back bacon. We're out of bacon."

"What happened to the ones I bought last week?"

My gaze find her plate and I understood and said "Extra bacon... got it. I'm going. Love you." She screams behind me "LOVE YOU!"

As soon as I close the door behind me, I saw Nick coming down the stairs. In light blue jeans and a maroon shirt. The sleeves rolled up to his elbows. The shirt had pink, blue, and green paint all over it. And it was unbuttoned down to his chest, giving me a peak of his tattoo. And this rugged-looking satchel like he had been dragging the thing on the ground all day. His curly hair was messy with a curl resting on his forehead.

I was still getting used to being around him.

He smiles and said, "You look pretty today." I look down at myself "Oh, thank you." He mumbled "Veramente carino (Very pretty.)" I couldn't understand what he said at all. So I just gave him a smile and made my way down. It was awkward that he came down right behind me.

As soon as I was out of the door, I made my way to the cafe around the corner and he did too. Was he following me?

I walked in and he walked in behind me. I stood in the line and he was right behind me again. Why am I getting nervous about this? I fixed my dress and dusted out the creases.