Chapter 10 : Something Different?

After meeting 'brother Rian', I am still not used to calling him like that... they have prepared everything to transfer me back to the Redmond Mansion. The King has already given them permission to assign me back under duke Redmond's guidance. With an exemption that the Crown Prince will still be monitoring me.

Given how busy he is, he will designate someone to visit the Duke's mansion every two or three days. Well, at least that's what I've overheard from the new maids.

I have no idea what happened to Jean and her minions, but I haven't seen a glimpse of her ever since I woke up that day. I didn't try asking anyone about it since... why would I care about them? I'm much more relieved that they are not around anymore.

But... It feels so weird the maids are being quiet around me. I haven't heard anything from them. They even stop glaring at me and merely glanced down whenever they enter the room. Nia and Lisa, the two of them, are now monitoring the maids that are entering the room. They will enter the room whenever a maid will enter and will leave at the end after the maid left.

They are at present in addition, in charge of washing me and changing my dress into nightgowns night. And now are the ones also waking me up in the morning.

It's so... weird. I think I got used to hearing swear words being directed at me by the maids and being given frozen foods instead of these warm and oddly delicious meals.

Am I being prepared to enjoy my last days or something? Are they finally getting rid of me?

If so, I only wish they will do it fast rather than be tortured. Every day waking up in this body is the same as being tortured from everything that I've been through.

"Are you sure you don't want to ride with us?" Lianne asks once again as brother Rian offers his hand to help her enter the carriage.

We are currently on the way to the Duke's mansion here in the capital, they are going to escort me to my new prison.

"Yes, I'm comfortable with the carriage assigned to me," I answer politely as I gave her a faint smile.

All eyes are on us as they watched my every move and interaction with their Crown Princess. I can recognize how they despise that Lianne is still familiarly talking with me and even offered me to ride the royal carriage with her.

To them, I might look like a scheming and vicious woman who is still using Lianne's kindness for my own comfort. A villainess that will manipulate their angelic Crown Princess.

"Look at how shameless that woman is..!"

"What a shameless act! Trying to appear pitiful so that Lady Lianne would pity her!"

I can perfectly hear all their murmurs and whispers of what they think of me. The way their tone drips with hatred the moment they utter my name or the way they look at me with such disgust.

They all want me gone... especially the ones who care and love Lianne the most. They wore such a perfect mask in front of Lianne but the moment she turns her attention to other things, they look at me with such hatred.

And it's not like I can't understand why they are feeling or acting like that to me. I completely understand how wary they are of me from the moment the Errissa they knew changed. That the proud and vile woman they knew, turn to someone as meek as me.

What can I say? I'm not strong nor proud or smart enough to change my situation. All I can do is keep a low profile enough to survive. But... is there a reason for me to keep on surviving? Why should I try to survive under someone else's identity? When in this world, I will always be known as the Villainess Errissa who ruined people's lives and almost killed their Crown Princess?

Why do I keep staying alive here only to be tormented by them? It's not like I would get a normal life even if I survive here and get my sentence changed, right? So why should I keep sticking around to be someone I'm not?? Why should I survive to keep Errissa alive?

With this thought in my mind, I enter the small wooden carriage that they traditionally used to transfer a prisoner. As expected... this carriage is so uncomfortable!

My butt is hurting from the hard wooden seat. The carriage has been rattling, shaking, and wobbling from the road. The inside is barely lit from the curtain that is covering the small window barred with metal bars. Everything here retains the atmosphere of being in prison all except the dress I'm wearing.

It's a dress suitable for a lady who came from a noble lineage. A dress, perfect for an elegant noble lady. A long elegant champagne-colored bell sleeve dress, with my hair braided on the side.

"This dress doesn't belong to a criminal like Errissa..." I mumble as I stare at this dress.

"How long should I stay with them..? Can't I just leave and never come back?"

Is there a way for me to leave? Or should I just continue staying as Errissa until my last breath?

.

.

.

.

"Welcome back, young master and young lady!" A homely cheerful atmosphere of the servants greeted us at the entrance of the mansion as they all gave them warm smiles.

Clearly, they are avoiding gazing at me. I'm being escorted by two knights beside me as my hand is locked up with magical chains to prevent one from being able to use their mana.

"Where is the father?" Brother Rian asks as he turns to face the butler.

"His grace is currently waiting at his office, should I escort everyone there?" the butler asks as he glances at me.

His smile seems to falter after recognizing my face, as he stares at me for a full minute before turning back to Rian.

"Yes, escort us to his office," Rian said as he seems to observe what happened.

The butler has grey hair proof of old age. His wrinkles can be seen on his face yet I can see that his boy is still fit. I ponder what is this secret for remaining fit in his age.