Chapter 67 : ̷P̷i̷e̷c̷e̷s̷ ̷O̷f̷ ̷T̷h̷e̷ ̷P̷a̷s̷t̷

"Lady Errissa..." a whisper came from the shadow the moment she left her room.

Tonight is the night that Haviona is going to show her the way to the basement where the orphans are being imprisoned. Out of every hallway in the Temple, the basement is the only place where they can not access it. Not because it required any sort of special key or permission, but because it's inaccessible to anyone who doesn't know about all the secret doors hidden in the buildings.

Only the Cardinal, the Saintess, and some of their trusted servants are the only ones who know the secret pathways.

"Ilia?" Errissa muttered in surprise as she glances around the empty hallway.

Ilia is the personal knight that the Crown Prince has assigned to her. Iliana Rozen is her full name. She is an adopted daughter of Baron Rozen, with olive skin, blonde hair, and brown eyes.

"Her highness has given me her reply to your letter," Ilia spoke in a hushed tone as she steps out of the shadow with a sealed letter in her hand.

She just arrived from the errand that Errissa has asked her to do, and that is to deliver a letter to Lianne. Since Errissa cannot leave the Temple grounds, with the accident still fresh from everyone's mind... and with the upcoming Cleansing Ceremony.

Ilia during her time acting as Errissa's personal knight has grown closer to Errissa and to Sara... who is the only one that knows about her. No one in the Temple has noticed Ilia's presence.

"Oh? She wrote a reply faster this time. Thank you as always, Ilia! Whatever will I do without you?" Errissa spoke with a bright smile on her lips as she accepted the letter that Ilia have given her.

Ilia's ears turn red as she glances away from Errissa's smile.

"I-it's not a problem! If there is still I can do for you, then don't hesitate to ask me," she mutters as she covers her mouth, while her cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

Errissa stares at her reaction.

'Mhm! Her reactions are getting cuter each time! I still remember the first time I met her she was wearing a poker face all the time. Only when I start complimenting and giving her bright smiles that her wall starts crumbling down.'

'Now I know why all the Heroines and my sister easily capture one's attention and heart. It's because humans are weak when someone is acting friendly and all cute in front of them. Though, of course, not all are weak against such sight. But most of them are...' Errissa thought to herself as she can feel a grin form on her lips.

"Oh! That is right! Before I forgot, can you deliver this for me to his highness? It's about the task he has assigned to me," She said before giving Ilia the letter she was hiding inside her pocket.

If she wants her plan to succeed, then she will need Alaric's help to capture the Cardinal.

'Though right now, he is way too busy with what happened back at the Duchy.'

She did feel horrified when she found out about what had happened... especially to Butler Thoma. Even though she still can not forgive him for not doing anything to help her and Sara back then. It won't change the fact that he is the only one who has shown such great care for her.

'If only... If only there was a way to exempt him from that miserable fate. But alas, things are out of my hand.'

"Understood. Then, I should get going now," Ilia responds before disappearing into the shadows.

"..." Wordlessly staying in the shadows, she shifts her attention to the letter she is holding.

'It looks like my dear sister is getting restless. Well, I can't blame her. She has locked herself inside her palace without seeing anyone at all.'