Chapter 16 : The Duchess' Gift

Ero's Pov

"You were listening, weren't you... Aiden?" I said as soon as I enter the carriage that was waiting for me.

The visit I had today is quite interesting. She appeared opposed to what I was expecting. She is almost a completely different person than she was before. The Errissa I have met at present bears a resemblance to how Lianne was before.

Now, I won't harbor any doubts that they are indeed sisters. Yet, I can't erase my suspicions of her.

"How did you know that I was there?" Aiden appeared almost instant in the seat in front of me.

"I do not know about Errissa, but the moment I enter the room... I quickly notice your mana following me."

This man... I am fully aware that he harbors feeling for Lia. But considering that he is not doing anything to make an advance to gain her favor, I let him stay close to her.

Besides, with my current schedule, I won't be able to protect her at all times. Having someone as strong as him is helpful to make sure that Lia stays safe. And his power helps keep an eye on Errissa.

"Ha... your senses are really sharp. I really should not expect anything less from you, your highness," he said as I watch him sigh in defeat before he leans comfortably on the cushion.

"Anything else I should know about her?"

"None. She spends most of her time reading books, doing some basic exercises, or watching birds outside her window. It's quite a boring routine if I'm being honest."

It sounds like something changed within him. His eyes did not contain as much hatred as before. Usually, whenever we brought her name to our conversation, his eyes would immediately contain such hatred that he can barely repress his mana. Yet, looking at him now... his stance is much more relaxed?

"I see... How's the tower doing? I heard that you were cleaning an accident caused by your students?"

"Yeah, the work has become hectic because of them. And, I think it would be best to keep her hidden. It is pretty suspicious how quiet they have become after that incident in the prison,"

"Hmm, I supposed they are devising something once again."

I can't still comprehend how they have tried to free Errissa from the prison. Why is it that someone like him, has become attached too much to that woman? He is risking igniting a war all for her.

"I'll send a signal to the archduke about this. We can't allow this to cause an uproar between the two sides. We need to prevent anything that might cause a rift with our alliance with them,"

"Are you sure he holds that much influence to the King and Queen of Acker Kingdom?"

I glance at the citizens that are walking in the streets. Before long, I will be in charge of their safety and happiness.

"Yes, he is their beloved son after all."

--

"Ah... this is becoming boring," I mutter as I stare at the scenery outside.

It has already been two weeks since the Crown Prince visited me. After that, Lianne was now allowed to come inside my room as well as brother Rian. The only condition is to keep the door open and have a maid inside to monitor us.

But, Lianne has to go back to the main palace in preparation for the arrival of the delegates from another kingdom. I think they are planning on establishing an alliance with us, and a party will be held for three days. Everyone is busy preparing for it, including the whole manor, especially the Duke and brother Rian.