Chapter 13 : Someone To Trust

The past days that I've spent here inside this small room are much more peaceful than the days I've spent in the palace. All I have done is watch the scenery outside, exercise indoor, read some books, and practice writing their language.

Butler Thoma is the one that has been delivering my meals, while a maid named Sara is the one that has been helping me a bath and change my dress. Among all the servants here, Sara is a newly hired maid who knows nothing about the original Errissa, so she has been treating me fairly.

She has been telling me stories about her family or interesting rumors from the outside. Sara has short brown hair, round amber eyes, and freckles on her cheeks. She is the only one I can talk to around here aside from Butler Thoma. If any of you are wondering about my siblings, they haven't visited this room ever since.

But I heard from Butler Thoma that the Duke has been keeping them busy. Well, it's not like I need to see them. I'm perfectly comfortable with where I am right now.

"Young miss! I have good news for you!" Sara's cheerful voice greets me as soon as she enters the room.

I placed down the book I was reading before turning my attention to her.

"Good news?" I ask as I tilt my head to the side.

I have never ever received good news and have my doubts about this good news that Sara has in store for me.

She clasps my hand as she stares at me with her eyes twinkling in delight. Sara, you are so adorable! I hope I can stay with you for a long while.

"I heard from the head maid that the Duke has finally allowed you to join them for dinner tonight! Isn't it exciting?" she announces as she grins happily.

How is that supposed to be good news?? Imperfectly fine eating here on my own! Can I reject it? I wasn't even dreaming of eating with them!

"I-is there a reason for that?" I said as she look at me confused.

She likely thought I would be delighted to hear that news but it was the opposite! I tell you it's the opposite!

Although... I want to admit that I kind of miss Lianne's presence. She just has this presence that makes you feel comfortable around her.

"W-well... I think it was because of lady Lianne? She, along with the young master has pleaded to his grace to at least allow you to eat with them if you ever you did not cause any issue? I-I mean that's what I've heard! I did not intend to sound rude, young miss!" Sara explains as she panics.

Ah, she probably thought I would find it rude the way she explains the reason? Since, she has likely heard by now, what kind of personality Errissa had.

"Oh, I see... Then should I cause an issue so that they would not invite me?" I mutter to myself as I try to think of a way to escape this situation.

"W-what? Young miss! You should consider this as an advantage! If you can gain favor from the Duke then the young miss' sentence would probably lessen!" Sara gasp from what she overheard from me as she grasps my hand to gain my attention.

"Eh? Favor from the Duke?" Sara! That is basically impossible! That man doesn't care about Errissa! I can tell from all the stories that Mr. Thoma has informed me about Errissa's childhood!

"Tha's right, miss! If you can gain favor from the Duke, then he will file a petition to lessen your punishment!"

Petition? Come to think of it...

If I recall it correctly, Lianne said that after 'my' deeds got exposed during the graduation day... no warrant was issued to capture Errissa. It only happened three days later after Errissa had poisoned her the night of the party. She then went missing for three days without a single sign of whether she was alive or not. No one in the whole Empire has seen a single strand of hair of her.

The Heroine's Little SisterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara