Chapter 37

"Who are you?" I asked the maid who made the room look like heaven. It smelled so fresh, like flowers starting to bloom in the spring. I could also smell the scent of cinnamon tea combined with something else I couldn't tell, but it smelled delicious.

"I am your new maid. My name is Irene My Lady" she said curtising.

"Where is Audrey?" I asked. Audrey was my maid. She was young nice girl whom I liked very much. I didn't want a new maid.

"She has been transferred to Princess Klara quartered, My Lady." The maid said.

Klara. I was tired of hearing her name.

Sighing I took my robe off and sat at the table where the scent of the delicious tea was coming from.

"Would you like some tea, My Lady?" Irene asked. I couldn't say no because I really wanted to taste this tea and see if it tasted as delicious as it smelled.

"Yes," I said. She poured me the tea and handed it to me with a smile.

"It will help you relax, My Lady." She said.

As I was about to drink the tea I got suspicious. I didn't know this maid and she came suddenly and is pouring me some tea. Why did the sudden change of maids happen? Was Klara up to something?

"Would you like me to drink it first?" Irene asked when she noticed my suspicion.

"Yes." I said and handed her the tea. She took a sip and smiled.

"Drink it all." I said. I didn't know why I was being like that but this Irene, there was just something about her that didn't feel quite right.

She emptied the cup and put it down.

"Would you like some now, My Lady?" She asked and I could hear the amus.e.m.e.nt in her voice.

I tried to look her in the eyes but I couldn't. I don't know why? It was as if her emerald eyes could see through me and into my soul. It was as if she knew my deepest secrets and desires.

She was beautiful but in a different way and her long thick black hair reminded me of Lucians. She looked young but her eyes held some kind of wisdom beyond years.

"No." I said standing up. "You may leave."

The maid left me alone and I paced back and forth in the room trying to come up with a way to help Lucian. Really, I was useless just like Klara said.

"My Lady, Oliver is here to see you." Irene called from outside.

"Let him in." I called back. I hoped he wasn't bringing more bad news.

Oliver walked in fully wearing his military attire.

"My Lady, I am here to deliver a message from His Highness. He left the castle and will be gone for a while."

"Where did he go? How long will he be gone?" I asked.

"I don't know where but he will be gone for a few days." Days? It meant he left Gatrish.

Did he go to Decresh? No, he wouldn't be foolish to do so.

"If there is anything you need just send a word and I'll be here." He said and left.

As if the time refused to move the day went by very slow, with me thinking and worrying too much. It reminded me of my wedding day. I had a knot in my stomach that refused to go away and that's exactly how I was feeling today.

My gaze fell on Irene who was making the bed. She was beautiful with her dark hair and flawless skin, and those eyes, they were mesmerizing. How come someone as beautiful as her still be working as a maid? The bloodthirsty king should have made her his mistress by now.