Chapter 70: Vol2 Chapter 10

What was this feeling? This scent? It was so...so familiar. This whole situation felt so familiar that it was almost scary. Before I could understand what was happening someone grabbed me by the arm and pushed me back so hard I almost fell backward.

"Are you blind?" A woman with long braids dressed in a military attire glared at me looking furious.

Staggering backward I grabbed onto the handrail as to not fall.

"Look at what you have done." She said turning to the man who had saved me. "Are you alright, Your Highness?" Bending down she brushed his clothes off.

Your Highness? I looked at my savior, a tall man, probably in his mid-thirties dressed in the most luxurious clothes I had seen... now soaked with tea.

Oh God! What had I done?

The woman turned hastily and before I knew a hand was swinging toward my face. I flinched back and covered my face with my arms waiting for the pain to come, but nothing happened.

"Jade, this is not our home. Let's not create a scene."

A shiver went down my spine. That voice...

Slowly peeking from behind my arms I looked at the man who was now holding Jades arm to stop her from hitting me.

"But look Your Highness, she won't even apologize." Jade said.

Letting go of her arm, "you are not giving her a chance." He smiled.

That smile...

My heart tightened for a reason that was unknown to me. This man...I was sure I had never seen him before yet it felt as if I knew him.

Turning his gaze to me he looked into my eyes. My heart skipped a beat as I looked back into his. I shouldn't but I couldn't help myself.

Suddenly a slap landed across my face, throwing my head to one side.

"How dare you? You lower your gaze and apologize right now!" Jade spoke with harsh tones.

I grabbed my cheek, my whole face stung with pain and I felt the taste of blood in my mouth. As I turned my head back to apologize I saw a hint of concern in his eyes.

"I am sorry...Your Highness." I apologized trying hard not to burst into tears.

I felt so angry, so wronged.

Why did I have to apologize for falling? It's not like I did it on purpose. Actually I wasn't angry because of that, I would have apologized even if no one had told me. What made me angry was the way I was treated.

"You should be careful." He said and instead of it sounding like a warning it sounded as if he was worried about me. Was I imagining things? Why would he be worried about a maid?

Turning to Jade he spoke some foreign words before he walked away.

"I am not done with you!" Jade threatened before following him quickly.

Shaken by everything that just happened I stood frozen in the same place for a while. Who was he?

Pushing the odd feeling aside I picked up everything then went back to the kitchen to make some new tea. While waiting for the water to boil I washed my face with cold water to soothe the pain. That woman was really strong, but who was that man?

I couldn't stop thinking about him, about the way he smelled, or the way he sounded, even the way he had looked at me. There was this familiarity to him that I just couldn't shake away.

"Hazel!"

"Yes!" I almost jumped startled.

"Stop daydreaming and make some more tea. We have guests." Edith ordered.