Chapter 48

Klara made me wear dirty torn clothes, she put mud on my face and hair and tied my hands.

"If you look like a beggar no one will ever suspect you are a princess." She explained.

I was angry at first. Was she making fun of me? But as we passed many guards and none of them even looked our way I guessed she was right. It must really have looked like I was a slave bought by her from the way she rode her horse and I was being dragged behind with my hands tied. I still hated her for this, but I had to admit she was smart and she was helping me.

Once we passed the guarded place we stopped near a lake and she gave me something to eat. I had never been so hungry in my life before so I ate the sandwich quickly.

"What happened to your leg?"

"I really don't know. I think it's swollen from all the sitting and walking or maybe I wrenched it." I explained.

She just nodded and looked away.

"Why did you save me?" I asked.

"I promised Lucian to protect you the way he would." She said, "Even though that was when we were supposed to get married."

"You saved me to keep a promise you made to Lucian?" I asked surprised.

"I am stupid, I know."

"You love him very much." I said more to myself than her.

She truly did love him. I tried to deny that for a long time but it was a fact. She had helped us escape and she saved my life because she knew it did matter to Lucian.

"Don't worry, I am not here to take him away from you. Now sleep for a while so we can keep going."

***

Klara watched Hazel while asleep. She really tried to dislike this woman but why couldn't she. This woman had taken away the man she loved, the only man has ever loved so why didn't she hate her?

Maybe because she knew deep down it wasn't Hazels fault. She had been forced into marrying Lucian, it wasn't her choice.

Sighing Klara lay down on the ground and tried to find some sleep but her thoughts went back to the time she first met Lucian

.

"Klara, you won't participate in this war. It's final." Rasmus said.

"But why?"

"Sweet sister. We are fighting against the most powerful kingdom and their armies leader is the seventh prince. He has never lost a war before."

She had heard of the seventh prince of Decresh, the prince rumored to be the devil's son. He kills without mercy and always goes back home with a victory.

"Brother, I can't stay just because we might lose. What will that make me? A coward?"

Rasmus sighed in frustration.

"Astrid! Please knock some sense into your sister." He said standing up and leaving the room.

Klara glanced at her sister giving her a 'don't even try' look.

"If you want to die why don't you just jump off the window." Astrid said sipping her tea.

"And what makes you think I will die?" Klara asked.

"No one survives a war against the seventh prince."

"So we are basically sending our men to die? That's not right sister. That's why I need to go." Klara insisted.

Astrid stood up from her seat "Klara you care too much about other people and I care too much about you to send you to die."

Klara took her sisters hands in hers. "I won't die sister, how many wars have I survived? Just please convince brother to let me go. Please, please." She begged.