Chapter 45

"Are we really escaping?"

"Yes" Lucian said packing a few things.

Oh, lord. Irene was right.

"Lucian," I said grabbing his arms "I know you are doing this for me but I really, really, really don't mind you marrying Klara."

"Do you want me to marry her and then isolate her somewhere?"

That was terrible. No women deserve to be treated that way.

"No."

"Then you don't mind me touching her, kissing her and taking her to bed?" He said frustration clear in his tone.

No. I didn't like that either. Looking at my hands I tried to come up with something to say that made sense, but nothing came to mind. I was confused and scared.

"Listen Hazel." Lucian said taking my hands. "I don't want to marry Klara because I don't want to neglect her. I know how it feels, I have been neglected my whole life. If I don't ignore her it means I have to be with her, and I don't want that either. I don't want to be with anyone but you."

I never thought about what he wanted. It would be wrong to force him to be with someone he didn't want to. I knew how that felt.

"Alright." I said.

We packed a few things and then sneaked out. Outside we met Lincoln, Oliver and few other of Lucians men.

"Your Highness, the weapons and horses are ready." Lincoln informed.

"Yes. But going outside the gates will be too difficult. The guards are too many, we have to at least distract some of them." Calum explained worriedly.

"Don't worry, soon they will fall asleep," Lincoln assured.

"That's very clever of you Lincoln," A familiar female voice spoke from nearby "but I am afraid many of our guards are immune to drugs."

Klara? What was she doing here?

Oh god, we got caught. We were as good as dead.

"There is another way out if you follow me." She gestured

I looked at Lucian skeptically but he just grabbed my arm and nodded toward his men, then we followed Klara.

Why would she help us escape?

"Can we trust her?" I whispered as we followed her into a dark tunnel.

Lucian nodded.

"This tunnel leads to the back of the castle. It was made in case we got attacked so that we could escape." She explained.

As we reached the exit we found that a few guards standing there.

"Don't worry. These are my men." She explained as she saw the questioning looks on our faces.

"They have prepared a few more horses and weapons. You will need them." She continued.

She was helping us escape. Why? She was making me confused.

Klara studied Lucian while he put his weapons in place and prepared his horse. As she looked at him her expression was filled with sorrow and another feeling I didn't want to admit yet.

Turning to me she walked closer.

"Why are you helping us?" I asked before she could say anything.

"I am helping him not you."

"Helping him is helping me." I said.

She narrowed her eyes.

"I am trying to hate you. You are not helping." She said.