Chapter 4 - Immortality Threatened

CHAPTER 4: IMMORTALITY THREATENED

Ren walked down the dimly lit hall until she got to the door at the end, her hand gripping Lucius’s as she knocked on it before pushing it open. She glanced to the side to see Leon sitting on a chair next to the door before she asked, “How are things going?”

Before Leon was able to answer, they were startled by a crash, looking towards the alchemist who’d tossed something at the wall, making it break to pieces. “Same as last night, and just like this morning.” Leon sighed.

“Tobias-…”

“You coming down here every hour is not helping damn it!” Tobias yelled, heaving in anger as he turned to the door. “Get Liam.” He said.

“Just tell me where you are at. Noah is resting and Liam’s taken over for a bit.” Ren said, watching him carefully. She saw Blayth walk up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder, but Tobias shrugged it away.

“Tobias, calm down. You told me to make sure you don’t stop. For Edmur, so you don’t lose him like Frances.” He reminded him, seeing his shoulders start to drop, his anger replaced with helplessness.

Tobias looked back at Ren as he said, “I need him to check what I’ve made. I don’t know if it needs any more adjustments.”

“Alright.” Ren said, “I will see if he could spare some time.” She then turned to Lucius and said, “Would you mind waiting here for a bit?”

He glanced at Tobias before looking back at her and nodding. She left him there as she went to find Liam. His eyes returned to Tobias who went back to what he was doing, taking a seat as he rechecked everything he’d made to show Liam and see what he says.

Lucius walked up to him, glancing over his shoulder before his eyes moved to Tobias’s face, a frown caressing his brows as he saw the tears gathering in the white-haired man’s eyes, the redness of them, the blotches on his face, and the dark circles under his eyes.

“Noah said you were smart.” Lucius mumbled, Tobias not acknowledging him as he was still fixated on trying to make the instrument work properly as Liam had described it should. “He said you were the one to create most tools people use these days. He also told me you were trying to help Mister Edmur get better.”

Tobias placed the device on the table as a small laugh escaped him despite himself before he asked, “Mister Edmur?”

“Did I say something wrong?” Lucius asked.

“No.” Tobias muttered, “You don’t need to use a title when you use our names, Micah, we are family.”

“We are?” Lucius wondered out loud, to which had Tobias turning towards him.

“Always.” Tobias assured.

Lucius frowned before he placed both hands on Tobias’s cheeks, saying, “Mister Edmur is going to be alright. Noah said he is strong. You don’t need to cry.”

Tobias smiled weakly as he said, “You’ve always believed every word he spoke, not even a doubt in your heart. Do you trust Noah that much?”

“Of course.” Lucius replied, holding Tobias’s face firmly, “And you should too. He is always right. Mister Edmur will be alright, and you are smart enough to be the reason he lives.”

“You are so innocent…” Tobias mumbled, his hands covering Lucius’s, “Adorably so.”

“Micah, come on, let him return to work.” Blayth said, gesturing for him to go to him.

“Do your best.” Lucius said, dropping his hands about to walk away, but then stepped back, wrapping his arms around Tobias’s neck, “Have hope. Life is unpredictable, mostly in a good way.”