Chapter 7 - Unidentified Threat

CHAPTER 7: UNIDENTIFIED THREAT

Lucius was sleeping peacefully until his mind started showing him things from his past, starting to writhe in his sleep he gasped, aggressively trying to untangle himself from the blankets around him that in his mind were something else entirely, trying to move away from what was harming him. Noah had been startled awake by his sudden movement, grabbing a hold of him as he struggled to get away. He couldn’t hear the words Noah spoke, making the man worry more when he started screaming, his tears starting to fall heavily down his cheeks as he wept.

“Lu! Lu, wake up!” Noah yelled, not knowing what was happening to Lucius, if it was a dream, or a memory, or even if he was awake or asleep.

“Stop! Let me go! Let me go!” Lucius screamed at the top of his lungs. Noah’s heart pounded in his chest, fear gripping his heart, wondering what had happened to Lucius.

“Lucius!” Noah called again, holding both arms across Lucius’s chest, his other hand grabbing his jaw, making him face him, wanting him to see that it was him, but Lucius’s eyes were shut tightly.

Lucius gasped, his head tilting back against the pillow, his breath caught in his throat for a moment, eyes wide as if seeing something that wasn’t there. Noah glanced at the door when he heard it open, seeing Leon run into the room.

“What’s wrong?” Leon asked in a hurry, having been woken up by the screams.

“I don’t know, he woke up like this.” Noah said, watching as Lucius started trembling, not struggling against him anymore, instead seeming to be frozen. His mind not with them. “Lu?” Noah asked, “Love, can you hear me?” Noah asked, his hand loosening as he cupped Lucius’s cheek.

Lucius muttered, “Please…” before his eyelids slid over his eyes, his head falling to the side as if he’d gone back to sleep. No evidence of what occurred except the tears against his cheeks.

“What just happened?” Lorena asked, standing near the door in her nightgown, behind her were the residents of the house, all having been woken up by the screaming.

Liam walked past them, heading to the bed, placing a hand over Lucius’s head and starting to mutter a few words before his hand emitted a light green glow of his power. “He’s asleep.” Liam said with a frown, “Nothing is wrong with him. Maybe a memory?” Liam wondered out loud.

Noah tapped Lucius’s cheek softly, saying, “Wake up, Lu. Come on, open your eyes.”

“You should let him sleep.” Liam suggested.

“I just need to make sure he is alright.” Noah said, his thumb wiping away the tears on Lucius’s face as he continued to try and wake him up. Lucius’s eyes parted slowly, his tears making it hard to see as they clung to his lashes. He glanced at Noah, groaning tiredly as he tilted his head against his hand before closing his eyes again. “Lu, love, are you okay?”

A whimper left Lucius’s lips, his voice barely a whisper as he said, “N-Noah… stay with me…”

Noah leaned down, pressing his lips to Lucius’s forehead as he promised, “I’m not going anywhere. Go back to sleep.” He sighed, feeling himself relax after hearing Lucius’s voice, almost instantly did Lucius doze off into slumber.

“So?” Tobias asked.

“He’ll be alright.” Noah said, sitting back against the headboard, facing the door now instead of having his back to it, sighing heavily as he placed a hand over his eyes.

“Are you?” Tobias asked.

Noah dropped his hand, smiling tiredly when he saw everyone at the door. “You should go back to bed. I’ll let you know how he is doing in the morning.”