Chapter 49 - Unspoken words

CHAPTER 49: UNSPOKEN WORDS

The next morning when Lucius woke up, he sighed. He thought after Noah found out about his memories returning that he'd wake up to his warmth in the bed beside him that's been too cold for way too long. Pushing the blankets away he let his legs drop over the edge before he got to his feet, only for them to crumble under him a second later. He winced, rubbing at his lower back before he got up. He'd forgotten about the pain, almost completely dulled in his sleep. He cleaned up before going to his room to change his clothes, then heading down stairs for breakfast.

Noah was already in the kitchen and merely glanced at him before going back to preparing the meal with Lazarus and Liam, who for a change was not locked up in his infirmary experimenting with herbs and new treatments. Lucius greeted them, wanting to go to Noah but saw the stiffness in his shoulders, the darkness under his eyes from lack of sleep, and even how he didn't respond to his greeting like the rest so he instead went and sat in the dining room where almost everyone was already seated.

"Morning." Lucius muttered as he took a seat in his usual spot, the chair next to Noah which he abandoned the day before for Rob, Noah's guest.

"Hi, kid." Rob said from the other side where he sat next to Leon. "I must admit, waking up with such a view is quite incredible."

"Hm..." Lucius agreed with a nod, not feeling like talking with his drowsiness, much like Noah not having slept enough after they parted.

"Are you alright? You seem tired." Blayth said, sitting on Leon's other side, pecking his lips before reaching over for a piece of bread.

"Fine." Lucius mumbled, drinking the juice Lorena was pouring into everyone's glasses except Tobias who had his usual morning wine. Noah was placing serving plates on the table, while Liam grabbed the platter of eggs and settled it in the middle for everyone.

"A late night?" Blayth asked suggestively, wiggling his eyebrows. "Can't even walk properly, can you?"

Noah froze, the plate in his hand almost falling. Lucius winced, placing his glass down as Leon scolded Blayth for being inappropriate when it was too early, only for the two to end up in a kissing session. Lucius glanced towards Noah who now seemed angry, but he wasn't sure if he was still blaming himself or if he was mad at Blayth for bringing it up.

When Noah finally sat down, along with the rest who just came into the dining room, they started eating quietly. Lucius slowly reached over, placing a hand on Noah's in hopes of him relaxing a bit, but it only managed to make him tense further if possible, pulling his hand away before he pushed his chair back, causing it to scrap against the ground and unintentionally get everyone's attention to something he wished to forget as he excused himself. Lucius rubbed his face with both hands, sighing heavily before he too got up.

"Is everything alright?" Lazarus asked when he saw the interaction.

"It will be." Lucius mumbled as he hurried after Noah. Lucius walked up to Noah who was washing the dishes in the sink, standing beside him for a moment before he said, "Will you talk to me?"

"There is nothing to talk about." Noah responded quietly.

"Noah, please. Stop pulling away from me."

"I can't risk hurting you again." Noah muttered, his shoulders tense, his whole stance rigid and a frown plastered on his face.

"You won't." Lucius said, but when Noah didn't answer, he took a step closer, reaching over to touch his shoulder.

It was only a second, where Noah turned to face Lucius as he tossed the glass he had in his hand towards the wall just behind Lucius, making him jump as it shattered against it. "You don't know that!"