Chapter 41 - Misery & Joy

CHAPTER 41: MISERY & JOY

Noah sat there, Lucius in his arms, holding him tightly with a hand buried in his hair as he held his head to his chest, his other arm wrapped around his body, completely cocooning Lucius to himself as he silently rocked back and forth, tears falling down his face as they looked upon nothing in particular, trying to wrap his mind around his reality, the reality that didn't make sense to him.

"Noah, son, you have to let him go now." Lazarus said quietly, kneeling beside Noah, but when he didn't get a response, he moved into his line of sight, repeating himself, "Son, this isn't good for you." He said, reaching over to touch his son's hand, only then getting a reaction as Noah held onto Lucius tighter, pulling him closer to his chest and away from Lazarus who wanted to take him from him as he shook his head. He couldn't, not yet, he couldn't let go. "Son, listen to me."

"I-I'm not ready..." Noah whimpered, closing his eyes as he buried his face against Lucius's hair, "N-No..."

"Noah, he is gone." Lazarus said firmly, but Noah refused to listen, shaking his head.

Tobias knelt down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder as he said, "Noah, we must let him rest now. Give him a burial he deserves." He said gently, "Let us mourn him as he rests until the next time we have him with us."

Noah gulped before his eyes fell on the body he held. He was unable to speak anymore, but also unable to see the blood-soaked body of his beloved. He knew Tobias was right. Lucius deserved to be respected, to be buried. His heart clenched in his chest as he cupped Lucius's cheek after caressing his hair from his face, pressing his lips to Lucius's head before he picked him up, placing him on the couch. He took a shaken breath that he let out in a stutter before both his hands braced against the side of the couch as he pushed himself to his shaky feet. He stumbled in his step before feeling a hand on his shoulder looking up to meet Lazarus's sorrowful eyes as he said to him, "Can I walk with you?"

Noah didn't reply as he walked to the staircase, Lazarus walking beside him, a grip on his elbow until they reached the room. Noah's eyes roamed the empty room, Lucius's clothes from the day before tossed at the foot of the bed. Shadow stood up the moment he heard the door before his head tilted, his nose sniffing the air, then he totted to Noah, nuzzling his hand and sniffling the blood soaking it before he whined, but got no response from Noah. The wolf walked past them out of the room as Lazarus said, "How about you get cleaned up?" Noah looked down at his clothes before nodding, heading to the bathroom as Lazarus said, "I will prepare you some clothes."

Lorena went to Noah's room to find her father sitting on the window ledge, telling him as she walked in, "Liam took him to the infirmary. Shadow wouldn't leave his side. He keeps howling." Lorena said, shoving her sleeves up higher, "Blayth and Leon are being treated now."

"Good." Lazarus breathed.

"Where's Noah?" She asked after a moment.

"Showering." Lazarus said, then frowned, "Taking too long." He stood up, going to the bathroom where a faint sound of water was heard. He opened the door, stepped in, glancing around for Noah, not finding him standing in the shower but seeing the blood flow towards the drain. He entered, gulping at what his eyes witnessed of his son, sitting against the wall opposite the showerhead, water splattering his still clothed body, still as a stone where he sat, tears streaming down his face.

Lazarus sighed, taking off the sweater he was wearing, tossing it aside before he walked up to his son, kneeling beside him, not minding the water as it soaked him as well while he reached for Noah's shirt, unbuttoning it before he rid him of it, tossing it aside, he then started doing the same with his trousers which proved to be a more difficult task with Noah seated. He coaxed his son to his feet, where Noah gripped the shower handle to steady himself as Lazarus helped him out of the rest of his clothes.