Chapter 14 - Destiny

CHAPTER 14: DESTINY

"Lorena." Liam shook her shoulder, "Lorena, wake up." She had fallen asleep outside the infirmary as she waited for Liam to finally tell them if Lazarus was to make it or not.

She opened her sore eyes slightly, looking up at him as she asked, "How is he?"

"Not much has changed yet. You should go to sleep in your bed. It might be a while." Liam said, sighing as he stood up, glancing at the ground next to the couch where Noah and Lucius cuddled, Lucius's arms wrapped around Noah, holding him close with Noah's back pressed to Lucius's chest, and a blanket over them. "You are all so stubborn." He muttered, shaking his head.

"We cannot leave him." Lorena said quietly, closing her eyes, "Wake me up when you have news, Liam. I am not going anywhere, and don't even bother with them, they will tell you the same thing."

Liam gave up on trying to convince her, turning towards the infirmary door to see Blayth and Leon on either side of it, each seeming to have dozed off sometime during the night. They were all still exhausted from the mission, yet insisted on staying there. Cylus was in the armchair still, Wyatt in his arms, his head nestled against the archer's shoulder. Atrabilious slept sitting up close by to Noah and Lucius, his head tilted against the wall behind him. Only Ira, Tobias, and Edmur had gone to their rooms, and Logan excused himself after it started getting late, going to the room he was given when they first arrived.

Liam entered the infirmary, making his way to Lazarus to check on him, casting a spell once his hand touched his forehead. After his exam, his hand lingered, his thumb brushing the skin it touched before he muttered, "No one is willing to give up on you, Lazarus. None of them could even function without you. You should see them all piled up at the door." Liam shook his head, closing his eyes before turning around and walking towards his desk.

Hours later after the sun had come up, Leon having woken up before the rest, he left the hall to the kitchen, making breakfast before taking it back to the infirmary on a cart, ready for when everyone woke up, taking a plate inside to the healer who was still awake, dark circles under his eyes from the lack of sleep.

"Thank you, Leon." The healer muttered.

"You look horrible. Maybe you should rest." Leon noted.

Liam let out a breath of a laugh before he said, "It's been a while since I stayed up all night, that's all. I am fine."

Leon glanced behind him, staring at the pale faced Lazarus then asked, "How about him?"

"He's held on through the night, which is good. The poison has left his body, I just need him to wake up now to make sure he is alright." Liam replied.

"So is he going to live?" Leon found himself asking.

"I've done everything I could." Liam said, glanced over his shoulder towards Lazarus, "I am praying that he does." The healer looked at Leon as he added, "Tell Cylus that I will be healing him shortly. I should've tended to them last night, him and Lucius."

"Noah healed Lucius." Leon told him, "He manages to control his power when they are close to each other for some reason."

Liam sighed, muttering, "That is good. I will take care of Cylus in a bit. Just have to check on Lazarus again before that."

"I will let him know." Leon said, leaving the room and settling down beside Blayth before he told Cylus of what Liam said, taking a hold of the plate he brought for himself as he started to eat, Blayth sneaking bites from Leon's plate when he finished his own.

"Sleeping on the floor is painful." Lucius grumbled, massaging his neck.

"Told you to go to bed." Noah mumbled, his fork moving the food back and forth on his plate. Lucius tilted his head to look at him, reaching over to touch his cheek, making him look towards him to see the small smile on Lucius's face as if to tell him he'd never leave his side, which had him sigh before his eyes returned to his plate.