Chapter 5 - Anamneses

CHAPTER 5: ANAMNESES

Noah walked into the living room, returning from training Edmur in the front yard, along with the rest of the immortals. He glanced down at Lucius laying on the couch, seeming to have dozed off at some point when he returned inside for a drink of water.

He dragged a blanket from the back of the couch, placing it over him. His hand caressed Lucius’s hair softly, eyes lingering on the 17 year old. He couldn’t help feeling the love in his heart grow the longer they were together, the more years that past with him by his side.

Lucius’s memories still hadn’t returned to him, and Noah felt the ache in his heart, a dull one, wanting Lucius to recall who he was, but at that point, after the many years apart, he was merely grateful to have him close. Soon after Lucius’s 16th birthday, he started sleeping more, he noticed. He was falling asleep wherever he went, always tired as most nights he would be startled from a nightmare. He found him in many places, dozed off; in the kitchen, in the dining room, by the lake at some point, near the trees he’d showed him when he asked what happened to Lucius, and Noah finally took him to the spot, the place where he had buried Lucius time and time again. Only told him of one, and showed him France’s and Emerson’s graves that lay close by, all with large trees marking their graves.

He still didn’t know he was Lucius, and Noah planned to keep it that way until he recalled it himself. Thinking it best not to give him the information too soon, scare him away from them, from the life he’d started with his new family, one that cared for him dearly.

He let out a breath, walking away and into the kitchen, where he saw his father already having started cooking. He settled on one of the high chairs, where Blayth and Lorena sat, Edmur having left to bathe, with Tobias accompanying him. Edmur’s visions had been getting worse, leaving him worn out, but Lazarus refused to let him stop training, not in the same way he used to, but in using weapons such as the ones Cylus used, even the guns Tobias made. Liam also said it would be best, to help keep his mind off of what he saw coming their way, even though he worried about the pacemaker, the one Tobias finally made small enough to be imbedded into his chest, safer and easier to manage.

Leon stood beside Lazarus, helping him out, along with Wyatt who’d grown to become a great mage, tapping into his power, releasing much more with his practice than he would have if he lived the short mortal life they were supposed to have. Ira sat in the dining room, a book in her hands as she read quietly, always stirring clear of them when she could.

When her father died, her anger towards him took a turn, her grief leaving her cooped up in her room for weeks before she decided she could face anyone. She returned to herself after that, at least somewhat to how they used to know her to be: kind; caring. Afterwards, on one of their supply runs, she once more, like long ago, met someone. They all thought nothing of it, as the grocery store they were always going to was owned by the man’s father.

A long time ago, she had vowed not to love again, the ache of losing the man she was to marry left her broken, and she once told Noah she couldn’t bear feeling that pain again. He remembered smiling as he looked away, her words reminding him of what he once felt as well, but he knew he couldn’t not love Lucius, it just wasn’t in him, his heart belonged to no other.

A few years after that, she had fallen in love once more, with the man that worked in his father’s store. He knew she would hurt again, as he saw it in her eyes. She was so much like him. When she loved, she loved fully, powerfully, leaving her venerable for heartache, for shattering when she lost what she had.

And she did. They were together for a few years, he started growing in age, when she didn’t age a day. Lazarus permitted her relationship. He told her it was alright, but with the condition of keeping their secret. His father knew that she needed something to keep her sane in the life she was forced to live.