Chapter 56 - Repercussions

CHAPTER 56: REPERCUSSIONS

"Arms up!" Lazarus scolded, "Hold your fists tighter. Who the hell taught you how to fight?"

"No one! I own a damn bar, I don't need to fight." Rob muttered in annoyance.

"No back talking!" Lazarus yelled, making Rob stiffen at his tone. "Relax your shoulders a bit!"

Rob dropped his arms as he faced him, demanding, "How the hell am I supposed to do that when you are yelling at me?"

"I am not yelling at you!" Lazarus said firmly, "How else are you to learn?!"

"Not like this!" Rob gestured to the man's angered face.

"Rob-..."

"Is this punishment? Is that why you are so angry? Because I didn't refuse it when Noah asked me to be immortal?" Rob accused.

"Rob, this is not punishment. Perhaps you didn't understand everything before you became immortal, but you kind of signed up for this. Now that you are immortal, you have to train, to become strong enough to defend yourself out there, because believe it or not, you painted a large, bright red target on your back."

Rob turned around with his fists up again as he grumbled, "I wasn't thinking of myself when I did it, you know..."

Lazarus let out a heavy sigh before he placed a hand on his shoulder, saying, "You have no idea what it means to me that you are trying to do everything to help my son through this, but you should think about yourself. Immortality isn't a game. It is not something you do when you are bored and then you could go back on it. This is permanent. Have you thought about what you'd do when Lucius came back?"

Rob turned to him again as he asked, "Will I not be welcomed here?"

"That is not what I am saying. You think I can't see it? You look at him the way he looks at Lucius." Lazarus said with a frown, "You are in love with him, but he is in love with someone else. And that, son, that will hurt."

Rob looked away as he said, "I was planning on going back to the bar. It is mine after all. I will go back to working there."

"How long? Because after a while people will start wondering why you weren't growing older." Lazarus reminded.

Rob sighed, saying, "A spell? One that would make me look older?"

"You know what? We can figure it out when we get there. For now you should train to be strong enough to protect yourself in case no one else is there to help." Lazarus said, then called Blayth over, "Train him. You can make a monkey fight if you put your mind to it."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Rob glared.

"It means you suck at fighting." Blayth laughed, making Rob glare at him instead.

***

"Levi, I was thinking that today we should try and use that blood we got from the battlefield-..."

"We've had it for months." Levi cut him off, taking another bite from his dinner, "We've already tried."

"I found this spell, perhaps it will be the one we need to open the gates." Ruben stated.

"I told you, Uncle. The power in his blood dies with him." Levi said, coughing before reaching over for his drink and taking a sip.

"Why are you against trying so much?" Ruben asked.

"Because it won't work. I've tried almost everything you did. I've spent the last few months trying to help you when I should have been trying to break this bond that had formed between myself and the boy." Levi said, coughing again, covering his lips with his hand when his coughing became rough. He swallowed before pulling his hand away, sighing as he breathed, "Guess he is back."