Chapter 59 - Aftereffects Of Immortality

CHAPTER 59:  AFTEREFFECTS OF IMMORTALITY

With a wheezing breath, Lucius muttered, "N-Noah..."

Noah's hand tightened around his, a quick glance to his father before he leaned over Lucius's form, barely breathing as he lay on the bed, eyes unable to fully open, just a bit before closing for a while longer. Noah's hand caressed his hair as he breathed, "I am here, love."

"Forgive me..." Lucius said, whisper barely heard over his shortness of breath.

"My love, there is nothing to forgive." Noah said, leaning down to place a kiss against his forehead.

"N-Noah...I'm scared..."

"Nothing to be scared of. You will be fine." Noah vowed quietly.

"I don't want... to leave you..." Lucius rasped, his barely open eyes trying to look towards his beloved.

"It is alright. Everything is. As long as you come back to me, it will always be." Noah told him sincerely, feeling the burn of his lungs at his constricted throat, but he ignored it, more worried about Lucius. "Are you in pain?"

Lucius barely tilted his head in a shake, muttering, "I feel nothing..."

"Okay." Noah breathed, gulping as his brows furrowed further.

"I love you..." Lucius whispered, making Noah nod, his lips lingering on the back of Lucius's hand as he whispered the words back to him. "Is...I-is it okay...?"

"Is what 'okay', Lu?"

"I...can't hold on..." Lucius wheezed, closing his eyes again, then opened them slightly, his eyes moving to the side to glance at Noah, where he was seated on the bed beside him.

Noah placed another kiss against Lucius's hand, then leaned down and pressed another to his lips, then forehead where his hand followed, caressing Lucius's head as he muttered, "It's okay, love. Whenever you are ready. Whenever you can't hold on anymore. It is okay. I will still be here when you return. I will still wait. I will still love you just as much."

"Sure?" Lucius asked as his eyes fluttered closed.

"Yes, sweetheart."

"Will...y-you be alright...?" Lucius rasped, as if only holding on to know that fact.

"Don't worry. I will be waiting for your return. Praying this is the last time we have to part." His fingers caressed Lucius's cheek, where a stray tear fell from the corner of his eyes, "It's alright. Let go, love... It's alright. We will see the snow together when you return. I promise you that. So it is alright to let go." Noah whispered to him, watching his chest slowly stop moving, breaths so far apart he thought he already passed, but he knew better, and not until their bond severed completely did he press a final kiss to Lucius's knuckles, placing both of Lucius's hands over his unmoving chest. He took in a deep breath, gulping down once more to try and clear his throat as he pulled the blankets to Lucius's shoulders, not having the heart to cover his face, his eyes lingering on a face he knew he'd not see again unless it was in the two photos they managed to take.

He slid out of bed, feeling his magic flux as he tried to reign in his feelings before he stood up, eyes glancing around the full room, some seated on the couches, others standing around the bed, as if waiting for what they all knew was inevitable. They had sorrowful faces, all of them. He ignored them as he walked up to the rocking chair still sitting in front of the window overlooking the lake, settled on it, eyes lingering on the scene outside as his eyes turned momentarily red before they were back to normal.

Rob laughed with another customer, telling him he'd grab him another drink before turning around to do just that when he paused, glancing at himself in the reflection of the glass shelves, seeing that he didn't look older anymore made him frown before holding up a towel to shield himself as he walked past his employee saying, "Take care of the customers, I am not feeling too well."