Chapter 31 - Agonizing Love

CHAPTER 31: AGONIZING LOVE

Noah turned in bed, his eyes still shut as he tried to sleep. Finally he sighed, opening his eyes in small slits as he reached over to Lucius, placing a hand against his chest as he said, "Love, please... I can't sleep."

Lucius took in a trembling breath, his eyes blurred as he stared at the ceiling in silence, trying not to wake Noah up, not realizing that he wasn't able to sleep because of him already. "Sorry..." Lucius mumbled, "I'll go to another room." Lucius said, about to sit up but Noah pulled him back down, wrapping his arms around him as he pulled him to his chest.

"That's not what I meant. We've talked about this." Noah breathed, his hand pressed against Lucius's heart, closing his eyes as he felt it tremble with the whimper that escaped him.

"I can't help how I feel..."

"Love, it's been two weeks. You can't keep doing this to yourself." Noah said softly.

"There isn't a single sign, Noah. Nothing to tell us that he will wake up again..." Lucius said shakily, trying not to cry.

He felt Noah's lips against his shoulder trying to comfort him. "Tobias is almost done with that new invention of his. Hopefully it will help."

"I don't think it will. All it does is read brain waves... what will that help with?"

"To know if he will wake up."

"We already know he won't..."

"New rule. No more negativity." Noah said, "Now close your eyes and rest. I need you to sleep so I could do the same. All this power control training is wearing me out."

"Just let me go somewhere else." Lucius said, "You won't sense my feelings so strongly if there is some distance."

"I'm not letting you out of my sight." Noah told him, "Now go to sleep."

"I can't. Knowing how Cylus is awake by his bedside. I just can't." Lucius whimpered.

"I love you." Noah said, bringing his hand up over Lucius's eyes, without muttering the words, the sleeping spell slowly lulled Lucius into slumber. "If only you'd stop tormenting yourself..." Noah breathed, closing his eyes. He's managed to further his ability, with the new knowledge of not needing the words to the simple spells in order to use them. He wrapped his arms around Lucius again as he closed his eyes, but his worry for him made it almost impossible to fall asleep. Lucius had cried himself to sleep almost every night since he told him how he felt it was all his fault. He feared leaving him alone, of how mad he'd drive himself with the thoughts running through his mind, wreaking havoc.

***

"Wyatt..." Cylus mumbled, his forehead pressed to the mage's as he said, "Here's today's dose. I love you, darling."

"What's with that?" Liam asked as he walked to the bed, another bag of clear liquid in his hands that he placed on the metal rod beside the bed. "Every day, you start it the same way."

"I made him a promise years ago." Cylus said as he sat up, brushing Wyatt's hair out of his face. "He's always had trouble trusting others, so I promised him to always tell him what I felt. Then I promised to tell him I loved him, every single day, because he wanted to know if it ever changed."

"So if you don't say it...?"

"He'll know something is wrong." Cylus nodded, "He needs to know that everything is alright. It is. Even if he decides to sleep for the rest of forever, as long as I know he is there. If Atrabilious could tell me that he reached something else other than complete darkness... nothingness." Cylus took in a breath, his thumb caressing Wyatt's cheek. "It must be so lonely there..."