Chapter 42 - Normalcy

CHAPTER 42: NORMALCY

Ruben's hand caressed Levi's hair back from his head, his hand firm as it kept checking for a fever that wasn't there anymore. Levi's eyes finally parted, looking up at Ruben who smiled down at him, muttering, "Welcome back. You had me worried there when you slipped into a coma."

"Uncle..." Levi breathed, shutting his eyes again, "You killed him?"

"Don't you feel your strength returning?" Ruben asked.

"Hmm..." Levi muttered, "Thank you"

"We always look out for our family, Levi. That is my father's first rule, don't you recall?"

"Grandfather will be furious we didn't get him out first." Levi sighed before he pushed himself up until he was seated against the pillows behind him.

"We will. As soon as you get your energy back, we will find a way around this whole draining our powers mess. Not to mention, we can't fall in love on command in order to sacrifice a soul to open the portal." Ruben said.

"Have you buried her?" Levi asked, sighing as he looked away from his uncle.

"You truly loved her, didn't you?" Ruben asked.

"Family comes first. You said it yourself." Levi said, "Doesn't mean I didn't care for her dearly. She stood by me for years, nursing me back to health every time Lucius was incarnated. She was a good woman."

"I am sorry you lost her, my boy. Zach made the arrangements. She was buried in your garden out back. I still don't understand your infatuation with rose gardens."

Levi frowned, looking down at his hands as he said, "Taking care of the garden calms me. The voices in my head quiet down when I am tending to them. They make me focused. Don't you have that thing that makes you focus, uncle?"

"I surrender to the madness. That is my trick." Ruben smirked, "Nothing matters but our goal."

"To get our family back." Levi nodded.

It was a few days later when Levi had recovered most of his powers, being able to finally leave his bed. He looked up towards where his uncle stood, his finger trailing across the top of the fireplace in the grand living room before he turned to Levi, saying, "I can't believe you took over the northern kingdom and managed to keep the castle to yourself all those years. Even in a world where no one lived in castles anymore."

"A concealing spell keeps us from being detected." Levi said before looking back down at the ancient pages in front of him. "Are you ready? I found the spell."

"More than ready. I just wish we were able to find this spell back in the day." Ruben smirked before walking up to Levi.

"It was hidden in one of the treasure rooms in the Eglar castle." Levi explained, "I need your blood." Levi said, holding out a bowl to his uncle, watching as the man sliced his hand without hesitation, letting his blood seep into it. "Alright. This will burn." He warned before his eyes turned red as he started uttering the words from the old language that made his uncle's eyes widen when it started taking effect, but instead of hissing at the pain that burned through his veins, he started laughing mincingly, making Levi glance at him as he continued to utter the words.

When it was completed, Ruben's eyes were still wide, as was his smirk as he looked at Levi, saying, "My god, the power I feel!"

"Immortality becomes you." Levi smiled weakly before he got to his feet.

"Levi." Ruben said, stopping him from leaving, "That boy. The one you said was the son of Able."

"What of him?" Levi asked.