Chapter 34 - Melting Snow

CHAPTER 34: MELTING SNOW 

The sun was bright, rays cutting through white clouds that slowly moved across the sky. Lucius's view of them was suddenly obstructed with a shadow, making him look to the side to meet Noah's eyes as he asked, "What are you doing?"

"The snow is melting..." Lucius mumbled, his arms and legs spread out, moving up and down against the snow-covered ground.

Noah frowned before kneeling next to him, saying, "I realize that, but what are you doing?"

"Just... laying here." Lucius answered.

"But what's with the tears?" Noah asked.

Lucius glanced at him again as he repeated, "The snow is melting."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Noah wondered. He'd finished helping Leon with the dishes, only to return to the living room and not find Lucius, which had him searching for him until he spotted him outside near the lake.

It had been a few weeks since Wyatt had woken up, but his memories showed no sign of returning any time soon. Wyatt was not yet able to walk, and sometimes had trouble with speech. Liam was trying to slowly rehabilitate him, but it was taking longer than any of them expected, which led Liam to the conclusion that the ferocity of the spell was more than he'd initially predicted.

Noah spoke to Liam a while back, who assured him that he wasn't going to tell anyone about what happened to Lucius. Ever since the day Lucius opened up, his behavior was odd. He'd gotten closer to Cole and his siblings, their bond growing stronger. Tobias had taken to Benji, who had a passion for drawing, which helped Lucius bond with him until Tobias started mentoring him in mechanical designs. They all thought he was too young, but he was infatuated with it. Cole finally convinced Lazarus to let him train with them and started being mentored by Blayth which had led to a panic attack in a hand-to-hand combat training, making Lazarus decide it was best for Lorena to train him, keeping the secret Lucius had asked him to keep.

Mel on the other hand became close to Edmur, always looking over his shoulder as he read until he'd started reading stories to her, making him her favorite person in the house. That was until she met Wyatt in the infirmary when she followed Edmur there once. Now she snuck into his room there, where he'd been for a while, still recovering. The two shared a bond, not really knowing anyone very well, and the innocence that came with their ignorance. Wyatt enjoyed her company, loving the fact that she was pure hearted and didn't demand anything of him, like remembering, or walking properly. All she wanted was to play, and he found it endearing.

"It's melting, but it usually lasts longer. Almost a month and half more." Lucius said.

"You are not making any sense." Noah said, reaching for his forehead, "Do you have a fever?"

"I do not." Lucius said, pushing his hand away.

"Then why are you upset about the snow melting? It means that the lake will melt and you will be able to swim again." Noah said.

"It just feels like something beautiful is coming to an end..." Lucius breathed a puff of air, closing his eyes.

"Only for something more beautiful to come in its place." Noah said, "Come on, don't you want to see the magnificent flowers that will bloom in spring?" Lucius didn't reply, instead sat up which made Noah ask, "What wrong, love?"

"Nothing." Lucius answered, glancing over his shoulder at the snow where he was laying before a small smile drew on his lips, "It looks like an angel."

Noah looked at it before he reached for Lucius's cheek to wipe his tears as he said, "You do too."