twenty-one: BREAK

Well, damn.

Taehyun finds himself lying on the floor at the living room of Kai and Soobin's room as he stares into nothingness, his eyes fixated on the blank ceiling.

It feels like he's losing himself, or maybe he already has. He seems calm but internally, he thinks he's gone insane and it all started from-

CHOI GODDAMN BEOMGYU.

Taehyun abruptly sits up, shocking Kai who's sitting on the couch, waiting for his friend to finally rant.
"From asking to sleep with him, to confessing his love... L O V E ??" Taehyun exclaims, fingers tugging on his hair.

"Gosh, you're acting like a teenage girl who just had her puberty. Dramatic and over reacting." Kai chuckles.

"Wouldn't you react the same way though??" Taehyun asks.
"Then how are you guys right now?" Kai asks, dodging Taehyun's initial question.
"It's been awkward..."

"You're the one making it awkward."

"I can't help it. Beomgyu-hyung still sleeps beside me, though. But the tension is there. It's so thick, I can't help but feel suffocated by it. I also can't help but doubt his statement?? Love?? Seriously??-"

"For once, I actually think Beomgyu genuinely likes you. Yeonjun told me he hasn't had a single fling for this whole week and he's pushing away ones who throw themselves at him." Soobin comments, after serving cups of grape juice to his friends.

"Huh??"

"Damn, the Taehyun effect." Kai chuckles.

"But hey, don't fret. We're starting our summer break tomorrow and you're going back, right? So you won't have to see Beomgyu for a while. You can calm your mind a bit." Soobin reassures.

"Gosh, I almost forgot about it. Two weeks for summer break seems a bit too short, don't you think?" Kai asks and Taehyun nods in agreement.

"But, I guess-" Taehyun speaks.
"It'll help get my mind off him."

+×+

The next day, the start of summer break. Taehyun had just returned back to his dorm after grabbing breakfast at the cafe, eyes peeking into Beomgyu's room to find the older studying at his desk with headphones on.

Taehyun sighs before walking into his room to start packing for summer break. He's honestly really excited to go back to see his parents.

He isn't a spoiled kid nor does he get homesick, but he just loves his family and he can't wait to help out at his family's restaurant.

"Ahh... you're going back?" Beomgyu asks as he appears at Taehyun's door, leaning against it.
Taehyun looks over his shoulder, peering up to meet the latter's gaze and nods
.
"I'm gonna help out at my family's restaurant while I'm at it." Taehyun replies.

"That sounds nice-" Beomgyu smiles and Taehyun can't help but smile a bit at how soft the older sounded.
"Looks like I'll be suffering two weeks of insomnia then." Beomgyu chuckles, earning an eye roll from Taehyun.

"You've suffered for years. Two weeks isn't a big deal to you." Taehyun says.
Beomgyu snickers, sounding a bit half hearted. He can't help but feel slightly sad about it now that he realized he's suffered years from insomnia.

"You're right." Beomgyu says, the only words he could muster at the moment.
"When are you leaving, hyung?" Taehyun asks as he zips up his bag.

"Me? I'm staying here."
"Huh? You're not returning home?"

"Home isn't really where I want to be right now. Beside, ever since I've entered University, I'm always here during every break. It's better than being around your business partners."

Taehyun's eyes softened, a hint of guilt washing over him. He knows of Beomgyu's family situation and he's come face to face with his mother once, actually twice.

His heart sinks, feeling sad at the thought of how Beomgyu refers his parents as business partners instead of 'parents'. The supposed people that's suppose to shower him with love. But for Beomgyu, he lost that feeling at such a young age and grew up without it.

"Have fun with your parents, Taehyun. I'll see you after summer break." Beomgyu says as he turns around to leave Taehyun's room only for the blonde to grab his wrist.

"Hyung... do... you want to go back with me?" Taehyun asks shyly, looking down to avoid Beomgyu's gaze on him.

Beomgyu's eyes widen in shock at what Taehyun had said.
'Me and him?? Together?? Meeting his dad??'

Beomgyu eyes the younger in front of him. His grip was still around his wrist and Taehyun hung his head low but not low enough to hide his cheeks that are growing red.
Again, Beomgyu decides to tease him a bit.

Beomgyu takes a step closer to Taehyun, closing the gap between them and Taehyun instantly shoots his head up, not expecting the sudden move.

Beomgyu tilts Taehyun's chin up using his index finger, giving him a cheeky grin.
"It sounds like an invitation." Beomgyu says in a teasing tone.

"Don't g-get me wrong. I just feel bad that you have to spend your time here alone. And there's enough space in my room. B-But you don't have to if you feel uncomfortable." Taehyun says, now realizing that he rambled.

"The real question is if you'll feel uncomfortable?" Beomgyu asks back.
Taehyun remains silent and Beomgyu chuckles. He then boldly takes another step forward but when Taehyun takes a step back, he immediately snakes his hand around the younger's waist, pulling his body close to his.

"So you don't want to leave me alone?" Beomgyu teases.
"I- y-yah! Hyung you're too close..." Taehyun stutters.
Beomgyu leans close to Taehyun's ear.

"So, me and you? In your room?" Beomgyu whispers with a low voice.
"Hyung!!" Taehyun shouts, attempting to push him away.

Beomgyu chuckles at Taehyun's flustered reaction and pulls away.
"I'd love to." Beomgyu says and glides his fingers through Taehyun's hair.

"Just give me a second to pack." Beomgyu says before rushing into his room, leaving Taehyun standing.
Taehyun then quietly walls over to peek into Beomgyu's room, observing how the older had a wide smile plastered across his face as he quickly packs up his clothes and necessities into a bag pack and a hand carrier.

The ends of Taehyun's lips curve up into an endearing smile.

And his heart too, beats in excitement.