thirty-nine: BABY STEPS

Ever since Taehyun started working as a secretary at BigHit Entertainment, Beomgyu had been nothing but a demon to him, treating Taehyun like a nuisance and a pathetic being.

From the very first day, Beomgyu wanted him gone. He didn't want to associate himself with the boy who betrayed his trust, who left him to become an empty shell.

So he did everything he could to get rid of him. He gave him heaps of workload, rip his reports in front of him, pressured him, embarrassed him in front of potential investors and even sexually harassed him out of sexual frustration and anger, anything hoping Taehyun would leave him.

Even now, Beomgyu had asked the younger to get out of his office, to scram. He can see the vivid fear in Taehyun's eyes yet Taehyun doesn't move, he doesn't budge.

No matter what Beomgyu did, Taehyun never left.
Beomgyu scoffs, then realizing the game Taehyun's playing with him.

"Are you doing this because you feel sorry for leaving me?" Beomgyu asks, voice coming out hesitant as he feels his heart heavy.

Is this boy really sorry for leaving him that he won't even leave him when he tells him to?

Taehyun's eyes widen as he glances at Beomgyu only to look back down again while he plays with his fidgeting fingers. Never had he thought Beomgyu would bring up their past, not right now, not never.

"I'm sorry... I had to." Taehyun says.
Taehyun had to leave him. But he can't tell Beomgyu why, it was a promise he made.

"Your sorry doesn't mean shit."
But Taehyun can't give up. Not when he's still helplessly in love with this man in front of him. Be it rude or not, even if Beomgyu's currently not the one he knew and embraced five years ago-

Deep down he knows the Beomgyu he loves is still there and if he really is gone, it doesn't matter.
Taehyun will still love him endlessly.

So Taehyun gathered up his courage right there and then. He stands up straight and boldly locks his eyes with Beomgyu's.
"Treat me as badly as you want-" Taehyun speaks.

"Call me names, give me piles of work, harass me sexually, physically, manhandle me all you want!! I know my feelings for you and you might not believe it so be it. I'll win your heart, like how you won me five years ago. I won't give up ." Taehyun says.

Beomgyu's baffled by the sudden spat of words. He searches for any sign of joke in Taehyun's eyes but he notices that Taehyun's eyes are practically pleading, serious yet shining as always.

He's serious, and that catches Beomgyu off guard. But, Beomgyu finds the ends of his lips turn into a devilish grin, amused by the challenge.
"I'd like to see you try." Beomgyu challenges.

"Baby steps. I'm taking baby steps. And once I leap, you better watch out!!" Taehyun exclaims with cheeks flushed before dashing out of Beomgyu's office in embarrassment.

Beomgyu's eyes remain wide in shock. The younger really hadn't changed at all.
He had always known Taehyun to be bold but to say such things...

"Gosh, when did he learn to say such things." Beomgyu chuckles lowly.
He definitely won't go easy on Taehyun but secretly, deep down-

Beomgyu's looking forward to it.

+×+

"I think I've gone insane!!" Taehyun exclaims.
"This sounds like deja vu back in uni." Kai chuckles.

"But seriously though, the next time I see Beomgyu, I won't hesitate to snap his neck for treating you like shit." Soobin says with a frown.

Taehyun chuckles at his two friends' acts. The three of them decided to meet up at a café since it's the weekends and honestly, everything feels like home to Taehyun.

"Taehyunnie!!" A voice calls out causing the three boys to whip at the direction of the voice.
"Oh, Heeseung-hyung!!" Taehyun exclaims as he stands up from his seat and greets Heeseung who's approaching their table.

"I've been bumping into you a lot, Taehyunnie." Heeseung chuckles and Taehyun smiles.
"It's a sign we should hang out more. Also, what are you doing here? Take away?" Taehyun asks as he eyes the plastic in Heeseung's grip and the older nods.

"Yup, I'm having a few of my colleagues over for dinner and we decided to just grab some food outside instead of cooking."

"Of course, I doubt you can cook anyway." Taehyun giggles and Heeseung rolls his eyes.
"Uhh... annyeong yeorobun~ we're still here." Kai says with a pout.

"Oh. Heeseung-hyung, meet Kai, he's been a friend of mine since uni and I'm sure you remember Soobin-hyung." Taehyun introduces.

"Of course, Soobin-hyung lives in the same area as me. Nice to see you hyung." Heeseung says.
"Same here. You've grown a lot!!" Soobin exclaims.

"Hellooo?? You guys are telling me that you three know each other?? Man, I'm kinda hurt you guys never introduced me to him." Kai pouts.

"Maybe the four of us should hang out. I haven't catched up with Soobin-hyung in a long time too." Heeseung says.
"We can set up a date." Soobin says and everyone agrees.

"Anyway, I gotta leave now. I'll visit your apartment tomorrow, Taehyunnie." Heeseung says and Taehyun scoffs.
"You worry too much, hyung. But thanks." Taehyun smiles and Heeseung returns it before he waves goodbye and leaves the restaurant.

When Taehyun turns back to his two friends, especially Kai, he finds the latter smirking with his eyebrows raised.
"What?" Taehyun blinks in confusion.

"He likes you." Kai blurts out.
"No he doesn't. We've been friends since children. We're just very close ."

"Gosh, Taehyun's blind and dense as always..." Soobin comments, earning a frown from the silver haired.

"I've known Heeseung-hyung longer than you guys, of course I know he doesn't have feelings for me."

Kai shrugs his shoulders, still smirking.

"If you say so."