CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

Running

Running. Exhaustion. Frustration.

That was all Marnie had thought about as she breathlessly made her way through the dark and decrepit halls. She had finally found the opportunity of escaping, but Dylan was most likely hot on her heels.

She was horrified, not fit to defend herself at all. Her clothes were suffocating and her body was physically tired not having properly rested the entire time being held captive. Her body was ready to give up, but she was forcing down all those needs just wanting to get out of this hellhole.

She just kept running not even caring where her legs took her, Marnie was determined and tenacious. She turned a rough corner and quickly fell back falling hard to the ground. She felt a rush of panic knowing that was a body she ran into and she gulped looking up.

"Marnie?" She pulled back seeing who it was and started to feel her breathing turning unstable," Hey Marnie it's okay" She crawled back in fright," No get away from me!"

"Hey! Hey—Marnie—It's me Dilton" He spoke and she shook her head," No—No you're dead, Dylan sai—"

"No, He didn't Marnie, look I don't know how to prove it's really me, but you have to trust me. As crazy and insane those words sound" He mumbled the last part, making her not remove her eyes from him. She couldn't tell the difference as she felt nauseous with the anxiety growing. Her body was just so tired, and she felt hopeless.

"Marnie~!" She looked up catching her breath, looking at the one before her, and to the voice from somewhere through the many halls. The one in front of her was really Dilton, now that she was actually looking at him without being consumed by her panic.

"Believe me now?" He said and she nodded slowly as he helped her up," I'm sorry about all of this—Gosh, I didn't—"

"It's okay Dilton, let's just find a way out of this madhouse" Dilton nodded as they both scrambled through the halls using listening to Dylan's voice as he constantly said her name.

The pair of them had been running for so long both showing the sighs of full exhaustion. Both of them so fatigue and parched as their lungs screamed from the overuse.

"Marnie" Dilton spoke softly as he turned to her," I'll distract him, and you'll find a way out" She looked at him like he was insane and shook her head," No—We are both getting out of here"

"Marnie he is my brother, I can do it" She grit her teeth frowned," A brother you didn't know existed! Dilton, he told me he killed you and hearing that is proof enough for me to know he'll kill you the second you try and be a decoy" She whispered yelled at him.

"Marnie! Plea—" She lifted her hand to his mouth shushing him hearing the sound of footsteps nearing them. Both of them went pale as froze in place, and the adrenaline they once had was all gone.