Chapter 1: Gulf

I am squirmish and that's saying it lightly. I am wearing a coat and tie for an event to be held by my father. It just feels so uneasy wearing a tie this tight. I can't breathe.

"You ready son?" That's my father tapping on my door.

Do I have a choice? "Almost. Be there."

I went down after five minutes still squirmish. "Can you relax? You are giving me anxiety."

"Dad, I still don't understand why I have to attend this event. Your board knows I won't take over the company for a very long time."

My father looks like he's done with me. "Do this for me this once. If after this event you are still convinced that you want nothing to do with this company, I won't force you anymore."

"What's so different about this event and the others anyway?" My father looked at me the way he did when he was explaining to me the importance of condoms. This must be serious.

"A merger. Since last year, a company wants to merge with us and I have been putting it on hold for long."

"Okay......."

"Right now though, the company is facing a crisis. The merger is a very young company with a very young CEO. We can either compete with him and totally overhaul the traditional way we run things or have a partnership so we can adapt to their ways. Either of this options, I would need you to step up. I am too old for these options."

My mind is blank, zero. "I just graduated. What do I know about this things? I didn't even intern at our company because I have other plans."

"You were always free. I let you do things the way you want but I also don't want to leave you and your sisters with nothing."

My typical dad, including my sisters in the equation so I wouldn't have a choice.

"All I want you to do in this event is observe. Gauge and feel your surroundings. You are my son, you must have a competitive side in you that hasn't come out yet."

Yup dad. I am your son, precisely the reason why I dont want to follow your footsteps. This company ruined your marriage and our family. I can't take that route.

Just then, the driver pulled up in the driveway.

Time for the show.