Chapter 25: Gulf

I think I have stared at my phone for fucking hours willing it to ring or even just ping for a message notification. But nothing, Mew is probably with Jeremy right now reminiscing their times together.

Mew is now okay with me hanging out with Diane, he has his ex best friend back. He has unconsciously given me the space I needed. I should feel happy about this.

But when I saw him so happy this afternoon because of someone else, I felt something inside me squeeze. Mew even had a fucking office made for him. Just thinking about it unsettles something at the pit of my stomach.

"...... Did you hear me Gulf?" I turned to Diane.

"What is it again?" My mind has been drifting back to Mew the whole night.

"Would you like some mayo in your sandwich?" She asked.

I stood up and went to Diane in her kitchen, "We're almost done here Diane, just a few rearranging which I think you can already handle. I really need to go now."

"Eat first Gulf, I've already prepared the sandwiches. I can't eat all of this." She prepared four sandwiches.

"Why did you prepare this much anyway. I told you I wouldn't stay long." I said in haste. I need to get out of here.

"We've been working since 7 Gulf. It's 9 now, you must be hungry." She said.

I sat down on the dining table, "Okay, give me mine. I'll eat now." I said. The faster I eat, the faster I can go.I need to go find Mew.

Diane's been babbling about a lot of things and I honestly have no interest to make conversations. All I know is, this needs to be over soon. After a few minutes, "Diane, I really need to go." I stood up and dashed out.

Once outside, I dialed Mew's number right away.

Ring. Ring.

Ring. Ring.

Ring. Ring.

He's not answering.

Text: Hi Mew. Can we meet? Tell me where you are, I'll go to you.

My message was left unread. I drove back to my place, went to the darkroom and tinkered on the photos I took and arranged them. While filing the pictures, I thought about where Mew and I stand. Someone's gotta give. That someone's probably me. Mew may have been very private about a lot of things but he had always been clear about his intentions to me. I looked at the pictures I took at the team building and smiled. He really enjoyed himself that day. He was opening up and talking to his people. He became interested and involved. I liked seeing him be silly for once. He was so determined to win. He looked like a kid. Mew is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. He makes me wonder all the time.

Around 1 am, I decided to call it a day. I checked my phone and saw that there was a message just a few minutes ago from Mew.

Mew: Hey! Sorry I just read your message. I am home now. Let's just talk tomorrow at the office. I have some great news, will tell you tomorrow.

Great news? If it's so great, I want to hear it now. I dialed his number.

Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"

"Have I dialed the wrong number?" That's me wondering how the fuck did Mew's voice change.

"Oh yeah, sorry. Mew just fell asleep he can't answer." The person on the other line said. I gripped the phone tighter. Don't panic Gulf.

"May I know who I'm talking to?" I said trying not to combust with anger. It's fucking 1 am. How is he at home with another man?

"Just no one, just a friend. I just brought him home. It wasn't safe for him to drive." Friend. Again, this word has been fucking with me lately. I heard some rustling in the background, then Mew's muffled voice.