Chapter 8: Mew

Apart from the weather being 34 degrees Celsius, my back is also aching. Half the night, I was at the couch sleeping. When Gulf sensed how uncomfortable I was, he finally convinced me to sleep in the bed. I respect Gulf and I wouldn't do anything to make him think otherwise, but my confession yesterday made it awkward for both of us.

We are at the back of the car on our way to the pineapple plantation. I am massaging my nape when Gulf suddenly reached out to rub me in the same place.

"Hey, so sorry about last night. I told you I was totally fine with you to sleep in the bed man." He said while I allowed him to massage my nape. He looks like he doesn't know how his hand affects my brain and some other parts of my body.

When I can't take it anymore, I moved my head away. "It's okay Gulf." I felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. "I just didn't want you to think I am taking advantage."

"Haha! That's the least of my worries Mew. Look at you, you look very uncomfortable and proper. Like committing a mistake will kill you."

I looked him straight in the eye a bit offended by what he just said. "I know how to have fun."

"Haha! If you say so man."

I just sat silently the whole time we were travelling, still offended by what he said. I know how to have fun. It may not show but I have been told time and time again how my presence lights up a room, or is it, wakes up a room? But still I try.

"Sir we're already here." The driver said.

Farmers and their wives gathered around by the shed waiting for us and they don't look happy.

Mario, my contact here approached me, "Sir I am sorry but we might have a problem. The people do not want you to visit the plantation again."

I looked at the people and their expressions look guarded. I looked at Mario, "I'll talk to them."

I went in front of the shed and bowed my head. "I apologize for disturbing you here. I and my friend would just like to look at the plantation and if you allow, also take pictures of your town's best craftsmanship."

"The last time you were here, you wanted to exploit us." A farmer said.

"Well that's not really my intent. I was hoping that we can benefit from each other----," I felt someone touch my shoulder. I turned to see Gulf signalling me to stop talking. I stopped and he moved forward.

He smiled and started speaking, "Hi! I am Gulf. It's my first time to be here. For starters, I'd like to say that your land looks so serene and untouched. I'm impressed with how you have taken cared of it. I am a photographer, that might bother you, but really, I'm just here to admire your culture and hopefully showcase it to the world through Mew. While we were travelling here, I already saw street vendors lined up selling different crafts and I'm telling you that your talents are commendable and I'd be honored to be the one to show it to the world. Please give me a chance to be of service to you." Then he stopped and looked at the people sincerely.

He approached them and started to offer handshakes and the farmers and their ladies started to gather around him in awe.

What just happened?

Then he turned to me and signalled for me to come closer. I went to him. He touched the back of my waist and introduced me to the people, "Mew here just really wants to help you. He may look cranky but he really has a soft side inside." Then he whispered, "For the love of God Mew, smile."

I smiled, then the ladies looked at me the same way they looked at Gulf. The farmers also shook my hand and apologized for not understanding my intent clearly.

The day went by so fast. Gulf was being dragged everywhere. Men and women wanted to talk to him about how they can make their craft look more beautiful and Gulf didn't pass the chance to charm them. Before I know it, it's almost three. I remember I still need to talk to Olive.

Ring. Ring.

"Hi Sir."

"Olive. It's almost three, I told you I need your report by lunch."

"But I thought you'd call me Sir."

I crinkled my nose, the heat of the sun and Olive's usual naivety is giving me a headache. I sighed, "Tell me what you have gathered."

"I did my reasearch Sir. Since Gulf is a photographer, you can give him tools for his camera, probably different types of camera lens."

"Hmmm. You really thought this through. That's a great idea. What else?"

"I reserved dinner for you at Mariscos Fuego. It's super close to the sea."

"Didn't you receive my text last night? I told you that Gulf is allergic to seafoods."

"He is? I might have missed it Sir."

"How can you miss a text? You can find it in your phone." I heard silence, she must be checking her phone.

"I'm sorry Sir, I think I overlooked it."

How can a text be overlooked? I can't help but touch my forehead.

"Hey, you okay?" I turned to see Gulf.

"Cancel the reservation Olive." I said before ending the call.

I faced Gulf. "How's the photos going?"

"I have enough material. We can go if you want, you look like you will pass out. Do you want to go back to the hotel first before dinner?"

"About that, the dinner reservation is cancelled?"

"Really? Well if that's the case, we can have dinner here. One of the wives invited me."

I wanted to be alone with you but when you smile like that, "Well if that's what you want, we can do that."

------------------------------------------------------

The wife has a 22 year old daughter. Right now, she is talking to Gulf while he teaches her how to use his camera, while I am with her mother helping her prepare dinner. I am the CEO of Bended Incorporated, a self made man, I have never in my entire life saw myself doing this for anyone, not even for someone I am enamored with. But here I am listening about how a love story can survive 30 years.

"So you see Mew, just be patient, the love of your life will come to you.----------"

She is touching Gulf, carressing and pressing his arms and he likes it. They both laugh. Then the daughter tried to use the camera and Gulf is helping her.

"Mew---Mew-----"

The mother touched my arm. "Did you hear me?"

I looked at her, "I am so sorry Missus. Can you just excuse me for a moment?" I went to Gulf.

Gulf saw me approaching, "Is dinner ready?"

"Almost, you can take your sits at the table."

The daughter went ahead. I pulled Gulf aside.

"Can you not flirt where I can see you?"

"Huh? Are you talking about Sammy?" He looked at her retreating back. "She looks cute."