Chapter 19: Gulf

Scotch in our hands, sitting opposite each other, Mew just became speechless.

"Mew, please talk to me." I am so worried, I haven't slept a wink last night.

"I need to think Gulf. I didn't expect this from you."  That makes us two.

"I didn't expect this from myself either."

"Can you please start from the very beginning? From the moment you met her."

"Nothing much to tell Mew. I met her at my last photoshoot in campus before I came back here. She is a model for one of my clients. After the shoot we went to a friend's party, got drunk and something happened. That's it. I told you, I don't do girlfriends."

"Yes you just fuck them and leave them." If it wasn't Mew, I would have punched his face for saying that.

I stood up, "Look this is my mess. Mine. I'm giving you a way out."

"Sit down." I sat down again. "I'm already in too deep the moment I decided to love you." He told me looking like he wants to throw the glass of scotch at me.

I would have felt elated by his words if it was said in a different setting. "This is the first time you're confessing to me and you look like you want that glass of scotch on my face."

"What do you expect Gulf? Last I know, there are condoms in UK." Sarcastic Mew, I only see him when he is talking to Olive.

I stared at him really hard, "I think I used one, I'm just not sure."

"You're just not sure?" He looks exasperated. He combed his hair with his fingers really hard.

"Look Mew, I'm sorry. I'll figure this out." I said very much disappointed at myself.

He closed his eyes and sighed so deep, "No Gulf. We will figure this out. I just need to calm down. You caught me off guard."

He is silent again.

"Ummm, so your best friend huh?"

He looked at me hard, "Now? You want to talk about that now? This is not the time Gulf."

"We will talk about him after this mess." I assured him.

He looked at me softening his eyes, "Yes Gulf, we will. I will tell you everything you want to know."

He is leaning on the sofa, eyes closed with his two fingers between his eyes massaging it. Then he abruptly looked at me.

"Did you ask her if she has slept with anyone else other than you?"

"Yes i did. She felt insulted."

"But did she answer though." Mew the CEO is asking.

"No and I didn't ask again."

"Let me talk to her."

"WHAT? WHY?" What's the point?

"I'll ask her, you are too nice to ask this kind of questions." Really Mew?

"I don't think that's a good idea. No."

"I read people Gulf. I told you that before and I'm not kidding."

I rolled my eyes, "Fine." I hid a smile.

"Why are you even smiling at a time like this Gulf? This isn't funny."

"Sorry Mew, you just have this calming effect on me."

--------------------------------------------

Saturday, lunchtime, the three of us are sitting in a nice cafe just a few blocks from the office.

"So umm, Diane, this is Mew. Mew, Diane."