Chapter 11: Gulf

Bended Incorporated occupies the highest four floors of Curve Building. This building is very modern and an architects dream. The building is designed to be topsy-turvy. It has no endges. From my research, this building is owned by Bended Incorporated and was built 3 years ago, that's 2 years after they launched and also the first year they were named the best startup company because of the online app the company built. There are thirty floors. Those that the company don't occupy are being rented to other businesses.

Judging from the trophies I see in the glass display on Mew's floor, I should be honored to be working in this company.

"Mr McQueen?" I turned to see Mew's secretary approaching me. "I'd like to formally introduce myself. I am Olive, Sir Mew's executive secretary and now yours too.  Your office is ready." She led me to the room next to Mew.

"Where's your Boss?"

"He'll be here any minute Sir. He told me to let you settle in first and familiarize yourself with the place. I can tour you when you're ready."

I smiled at Olive, "No need for now Olive. I'll just check the office"

I went ahead to enter the office assigned to me. Wow, this room is bigger than my father's office. I looked around. The room's color pallete is mostly subtle, white couches and chairs, very light blue walls and earthy ambiance.

"You like what you see?" I turned around to see Mew leaning by the door, his arms crossed in his chest.  My whole body heat up, what the fuck. The room does not feel so big all of a sudden.

"This room doesn't look like it belongs to a CBO."

"No it doesn't. It only belongs to you." I feel my ears going red. What is happening to me?

"Careful man, I don't want you to think that I accepted your offer for anything else."

"Of course not, you're straight. I remember quite well." He entered the room reluctantly and sat on the couch. "Have you seen my welcome gift?"

"Employees have welcome gifts?"

"No just you." Mew's direct answer is really making me uncomfortable. "It's in your office desk."

I looked at the desk, in the middle is a box wrapped in a bow. I looked closely, got the card and read the message out loud, "Gulf, So you can focus on beautiful things. Mew." I looked at Mew, he bowed his head and pointed his mouth to the gift.

I unwrapped the gift. Nikon lens was written in the box. I opened the box and inside is a set of lens for a professional photographer. "This is not a welcome gift Mew." I turned to Mew again.

"It's not?" He asked as if mocking me. Then he walked to me, so close I had to step back to maintain some distance. "It is a gift from someone who wants to be more than friends -------"

"Sir Mew." Saved by the voice. We both looked at Olive. Mew stepped backwards.

"What is it Olive?" I can see Mew gritting his teeth while saying this. I hid a smile, I think Olive will be a great ally.

"You entered the room." Olive looks shocked when she said this.

"Yes I did." Mew said like he will snap anytime.

"But you said you will never come here unless----"

"Let's go Olive." Mew suddenly is eager to get out of the room.

Hmmmm, that's weird. I looked at the room again. So what's your mystery?

-------------------------------------------------------

The day was spent being introduced to different personnels. Olive is every bit the definition of fun with no filter. She talks a lot and is clearly not intimidated by me. I haven't seen Mew the whole day which is good too because I feel funny in my stomach when I see him.

It was after six when I finished with filling up forms and reading office manuals.

Knock.Knock.

"Want to call it a day?" I looked up to see Mew hanging by the door again. 

"Will you be doing this everyday?" I asked him, somewhat annoyed.

"What do you mean?" He innocently asked.

"Will you always check on me? Unless of course this is about work?" I said while fixing my stuff to get ready to go home.

"Do I need a reason to come to your office?" He said raising his brow.

"Have you heard of business ethics? And yes, you need a  reason related to work to visit MY office, unless of course you want me to backtrack on the agreement."

He smiled, not even affected by what I just said, "Let me treat you to dinner, just to celebrate your first day."

I just looked at him, getting irritated because it seems that he doesn't get it when I say that I am straight and very much not intersted with his advances.

"If you let me treat you, I won't bug you in your office unless it's about work."

Well that's a valid bargain, "Okay, but I want Olive and the three employees from our company to join as well."

He crinkled his forehead then thought about it for a while. He rubbed his nose which is so out of his character, "Okay."

-------------------------------------------------------

We went to a korean buffet. The table was round with the grill in the middle. I was sitting next to one of our company's employee and Mew on the right side.

"So, Olive." That's me trying to lighten the mood. "Tell us something about yourself."

Olive turned to me looking frigthened, "Why?"

If this is in a different setting, I would have already laughed. "Hey, relax. I'm just making small conversations."

She relaxed a bit and started to cook meat strips in the grill. The other employees mimicking her moves. Mew tried to help by turning the strips. "Well, ummm, I've been working in the company for three years now. I have known Sir Mew since I was a baby, my father drives for him." Then she looks at Mew. When she sees Mew not objecting to what she is saying, she continued, "After I graduated in college, I worked right away. Most of my time is spent at the office doing what Sir Mew asks....... I mean to do the things an executive secretary should do."

Everyone is listening to our conversation. Mew interjected. "Yes, I've known her since she was a baby, back when she was cute and bubbly." Then he smiled his megawatt smile. Five set of eyes , including mine, are looking at him. He proceeded with setting aside cooked meat oblivious to our expressions.

Olive though, can't help it and spoke, "You complimented me Sir and you smiled too. The last time I saw you smile was years ago back when-----"

"Just eat Olive." Then he turned around to call the waiter, "Can we have some soju please."

He turned back around then cooked some more meat. Then talked to the three new employees. He would ask about their personal life and how long they have worked and what they expect from the company. He sounded like a concerned employer. The three new employees were enthusiastiacally sharing their thoughts and would laugh sometimes. Mew would serve them cooked meat and soju while nodding his head from time to time.

I just observed the whole time. What happened to the old Mew? The Mew beside me looks relaxed, not stiff at all. Very friendly and polite and not direct nor harsh.

He turned to me and smiled, "Are you okay Gulf? You haven't eaten much." Then he put some meat in my plate. "Try this with some lettuce and kimchi. Their korean dressing here is really good."

I got the food and dipped it to the dressing without saying anything. Have I missed something?

Small DosesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara