Chapter 9: Gulf

I have been ignored for two days now. I didn't think that a night of flirting with a girl will land me in this situation. Mew had been deadly silent the moment we were back at the resort. He is still polite because he's educated like that but he is very much reserved, more so than before.

I've spent the third and fourth day of my vacation doing all activities the beach has to offer, alone. Mew had been working, sometimes at the resort's bar and sometimes in our room.

I have been strolling at the stretch of the shore, the sea teasing my feet with it's waves. The sun had set and lights from the different bars scattered in the beach started to illuminate different colorful lights. It's acoustic night. I hear someone playing the guitar and singing soulful songs. The setting is quite romantic, makes you want to share the moment with someone else.

I was on my way to the bar when a girl around 8 years old approached me, "Mister, would you like some necklace?"

I looked at the necklaces she is holding, "Did you make all these?" I touched some. The necklaces were made of broken shells looped together.

"My sister did. She says that when someone wears our necklace, that person becomes courageous and will declare his feelings to the person he loves."

I smiled, kids these days. "Where did your sister get that idea?"

"From Little Mermaid."

"But the Little Mermaid can't speak, how can she declare her feelings?."

"My sister said the little mermaid is courageous because she gave up her voice for the prince. There are more ways to declare ones feelings, my sister said that too."

"Hmmmm, your sister is smart. She must be a good older sister to you."

"Oh no, we're twins. She doesn't like the sea though so she reads."

I smiled. "That explains it. How much are all your necklaces?"

"Do you need a lot of people to declare their love?"

"Haha! No, but it's already dark, you should be going home."

"5 dollars a piece mister."

"How about this, I'll give you a hundred for all of it but you have to go home after, agree?"

The chubby cute kid smiled and nodded. I got the necklaces and paid her, patted her head then she went dancing away.

I put the necklaces in my pocket then went ahead to the bar to enjoy the music. While having a beer, I thought about Mew. He is very complex and focused. If he is not talking to his secretary, he is engrossed with his computer these last two days. He maybe a bit calloused on the outside but I feel like there's more to it. .He does not initiate any talk unless to remind me to eat or put on some sunscreen before going out. He talks to me to check if I've slept well or if there is anything else that I need. When I talk, he listens attentively and just nods his head. He keeps to himself. Part of me wants to explore more of him but another part of me tells me to keep my distance as he might interpret it differently.

After a few more beers and songs, I decided to call it a day and walked back to the hut. It's quite dark in some areas in the pathway, I stumbled on a sharp object. I can't see my foot so I went ahead. Upon opening the door, I see Mew talking to someone on the phone by the window.

I waved my hand and pointed to the bathroom,then went on my way, then he signalled for me to stop and approached me.

"Olive, I don't want to repeat myself again, If you still don't get it, there's always the internet." Then he hung up.

He went to me and kneeled before me. To say that I am aghast is an understatement, I almost stumbled backwards when he touched my calf. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Your toe is bleeding." He said, then inspected it closer. Then he put my foot down, "Don't move."

I looked at my foot. It didn't really hurt that much when I was walking. I looked at Mew again, he is talknig to the receptionist.

"Yes, some first aid." He was saying.

"Shouldn't there be some in the room? What type of a hotel resort doesn't have this." He crinkled his nose. I smiled. It's just a toe but he's acting like I was shot. If I am a woman, I'll find this sweet.

"Then what should I do?" He said. Then he went to the bathroom and got a couple of hand towels. He went to the refrigerator and got some ice, then wrapped one of the towels around it. He then went to his bag and got an ethyl alcohol and a band aid. I raised my brow, so he has these things in his bag? Mew, the boyscout. Then he hung up the phone.

"Go sit in the couch." I went, silently amused at all his movements. This is probably the most he has moved since I met him.

Then he dumped the things in the side table and sat beside me. Got my foot and placed it in his lap. He got the ethyl alcohol bottle and poured some in my toe.

"Ouucchh! That hurt! Do you know what you're doing?"

"I'm sorry Gulf." Then he proceeded to blow on my toe. He looked panicked.

"Just be gentle." I said hiding my smile.

"I'm trying." He then wiped my toe and wound with a towel, very gently, I didn't feel anything at all. "Not that gentle, I can take it."

He glanced and saw my amused face. "Don't be so amused. You should be careful."

"It's just a toe Mew." I said while he put ice in the wound.

"Well, you can't wear shoes for a while. This needs to heal."

I stared at him and asked him something I have been meaning to ask for a while, "Are you always like this?"

"Like what?" He looked at me.

"Are you always this caring to your friends?"

His hand on my wound froze. "I don't have friends."

"How about boyfriends then?"

He turned back looking at my wound and proceeded to put a band aid to cover it. "I don't do boyfriends well. We're done." Then he carefully put my foot down and tried to stand up.

"Hold on," I stopped him by holding his arm. "I have something for you." Then I took out the 10 necklaces I tried to fit in my short's pockets. I chose a necklace with blue strings and pure white shells. I forced him to turn around then looped the necklace on his neck and locked it in. "I can be you first friend Mew."