Chapter 5: Gulf

I am looking at Mew while he is buying overpriced coffee at Starbucks. We are at the airport waiting for boarding.

Mew is a weird man. He looks stiff and smooth at the same time.

I am wearing a black hoodie and some distressed jeans with my white rubber shoes while he is wearing a white button down shirt, dark jeans and loafers 👞. He looks so regal. I bet my ass he only eats organic food. Does he even smile? He looks serious or in deep thought every time.

He is coming back to where we are waiting with a large Americano in his hand.

"Here's your Americano Gulf."

"Thanks." I sipped my coffee. "So where's your drink?"

"I brew my own coffee."

Bingo! I almost smiled. "So where exactly is this resort and what am I shooting?"

"It is in the western part of the country. I have been going there for a while and want to influence the people but the natives there are so old fashioned. They have a lot of customs. Did you bring your portfolio?"

He has veiny hands. His legs are crossed at the ankles while he is sitting and his hands are nestled there.

"Gulf."

"Huh?" I got distracted.

"I asked if you brought your portfolio?"

I opened my backpack and fished out my portfolio. "Here," I said while handing it to him.
He scanned it. I felt uneasy, like I was being interviewed for a job.

"Portraiture. Are all your pictures close ups?" I gotta say, I am impressed.

"Did you study photography too? You seem to be familiar with the concepts."

Mew's eyes penetrated me. "No, I study humans."

I feel the hair at the back of my neck standing up with his stare. "Oookay then. Well, I have other portfolios. I specifically brought this one because of the type of business you run. You specialize in raw materials, just like McQueen Enterprises. Although we specialize in fabrics only, it is important to highlight the quality of our products. This would require close up shots. I believe your company require that too."

He looked amused and his eyes lit up, "Impressive."

"Thanks Dude, I aim to please."

Then he's back to his naturally sulky face. This man is so unpredictable.

"Passengers for flight MG-594, please board the aircraft at Gate 70." The speaker boomed.

We both stood up and went in line for boarding. In no time, we are in the plane and loading our bags in the overhead compartment.

"Dude, what are you doing?" I looked at Mew trying to get my backpack from me to put it in the compartment.

"I am helping you with your bag."

"Why? I have my own hands." I got my backpack from him and put it myself. Mew is so polite.

"Okay. Do you want to sit by the window?" He asked.

"No. I can still see some view here." I said as I settled myself in my seat. "This is my first time to sit in business class you know? Dad is not a fan of business class." As I say this, I see a beautiful woman having a hard time putting her luggage in the overhead compartment. I stood up, "Let me help----." Not even finishing my sentence, Mew is already helping her. "Wow, what just happened?"

"Just settle in your seat Gulf." As I said, this guy is so weird.

---------------------------------------------------

Just after an hour, we landed in what looks to be the most beautiful scenery I have been to. How haven't I been here before?

"Wow, the breeze smells so fresh."

"It's good that you like it," said Mew.

I looked at him. He is instructing the hotel valet who fetched us here to take care of the bags. Then he approached me.

"Do you want to give your backpack to them so they can take care of it?" He is so courteous.

"No need. I can take care of it."

"Sir, we can go now." We both looked at the driver.

"Let's go Gulf." I followed Mew at the backseat of the car.

I opened the rear window to let in some fresh air. "This feels like a different country to me. You know what Dude, I always wanted to live amongst nature."

"I am not a dude. Don't call me that." Someone's grumpy.

"Sorry man, you just seem so uptight. You can loosen up a little."

"Please call me Mew."

I smiled at Mew. "I know. Cheer up, open your window, you can use some fresh air too."

Mew opened his window still with a serious face. Then suddenly, he said, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

I whipped him a look, "That's out of the blue. Why are you asking?"

He looked at me intently, "This place is a haven for honeymooners"

"Oh really? That's nice, we'll probably see a lot of lovers then. That would be a good material in my photos too." Then I answered his original question, "I don't do girlfriends."

This time, he whipped me a look, "Boyfriend?"

I laughed. I can't help it. "No man, I don't do boyfriends either. Not that I am against it okay, just not into it."

Then we are silent again. He looks so stiff. I reached for his shoulder, "You are so stiff."

He backed away, like he was burnt.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to invade your personal space. Just relax Mew."

"I am already relaxed."

Damn, what did my dad get me into?

--------------------------------------------------------

Conversation with my dad the day after the event during dinner.

"Son, Mr Bennett is the merger I was talking about. You have to find a way to get to him."

"isn't it enough that you used me as bait to get to him?"

"This is for the company. You don't want to lose it."

"If he wants to merge, we still have a way of retaining our employees."

"You don't get it. Mr Bennett specializes in turning resources such as our people to machines. If we merge, we have to be ready to let go of the people who worked for this company for more than ten years."

I was silent. My dad has a point. I have a soft spot with the company employees who also took care of me when the company was still starting.

"Are you sure that's his intent?"

"That's where you come in, I need to know his real intentions for the company before we decide to merge."