Chapter 23: Gulf

"Sir G?......Sir G?...Sir?"

Huh? I looked up. Yes Olive has been presenting in front of me for the last fifteen minutes and my mind is off to somewhere else. "Sorry Olive, can you forward your presentation to me instead. Let me see it from my laptop. Get me some coffee please, while I review it."

While Olive was out getting coffee, I tried to concentrate on her presentation. My mind keeps on drifting to Mew though, am I wrong here? I just want to take it slow. There are other ways we can spend time together. Should I have accepted his help when he offered to accompany me to Diane's later?

"Sir your coffee." Shit, Olive's presentation. Concentrate Gulf.

I reviewed Olive's presentation, blocking all thoughts Mew related. An hour before she presents  to the board, we are finally done.

"Just relax Olive and make sure you look them in the eye when you speak. Don't be intimidated. Remember, amongst all of us, you are the one who knows your plan the most so be confident about it."

"Okay Sir G." She said then turned to leave.

"Oh and by the way Olive, is Mew in his office?" I asked.

"Sir Mew went out Sir, but he assured me that he'll be back in time for my presentation."

"I see. Thanks Olive." Is Mew still upset?

When we went back from lunch, both of us were not speaking. I got upset because he raised his voice in the restaurant and getting irked by the fact that he can't understand why I needed to help Diane. And maybe just maybe, at the back of my mind, I just want to distance myself a bit. I am not ready to lose myself.

A few minutes before the presentation, I went out of the office and already on my way to the conference room where Olive is already preparing for her presentation. I was the first to arrive after her.

"Where are the other heads Olive?" I asked. I sat closest to the projector, just in case Olive needs my support.

"They're on their way Sir G. Sir Mew called to say he will be late for a few minutes."

Hmmm, that's weird. He is never late. "Did he tell you where he went?"

"To meet a friend Sir." Olive said.

"He doesn't have friends Olive." I said matter of factly.

"He had one though." Then Olive glanced at me, embarrassed or guilty, I am not sure. "I mean he used to have one Sir, now he doesn't anymore."

Well, that shut me up. Yes, Mew's best friend which we still haven't talked about even until now.

"Ummm Olive,  do you know this friend?" I observed Olive. She looks tense.

"Ummm, I can't really remember Sir. I was young then."  Olive can't lie for shit.

I kept silent after that, deep in thought and decided I changed my mind. I will invite him later when I go to Diane. I think it's best that he sees for himself that he has nothing to worry about.

Just a few more minutes and the conference hall is getting full. Olive started promptly at 3pm. Mew arrived shortly after looking happy and relaxed. What just happened?

The presentation is going on smoothly. At one point, the other heads interrogated her about the cost of the machine we have to buy but she was able to defend her case clearly. Mew nods from time to time and smiles at her which actually kept her at ease and boosted her confidence. When we came to the benefits part of the presentation, Mew even added some of his own to back her up. It went well that it ended with everyone laughing. Mew is in a good mood, he even joked. And it was not only me who was surprised, everyone, it seems witnessed this for the very first time.

Eveyone was on their way out, when I approached him, "Hey, can we talk?" I asked.

He looked at me, his eyes don't look doubtful anymore. "Yes we need to talk Gulf."

"Me first," I said. "Listen, about later, I want you to be there when I go to Diane. I'm sorry if you felt you were left in the dark Mew."

"About that Gulf, "he said. "I'm sorry too. I don't need to be there. I just felt so insecure, but I am okay now. You don't need to do this for me." Then he held my hand and smiled, "I will wait when you're ready. I'm sorry if I felt impatient for a while, but now I think I can understand where you're coming from and I trust that you won't do anything with Diane."

"What do you mean Mew?" I asked suddenly curious.

"I just met Jeremy earlier. He was the best friend I mentioned to you before. You and I haven't talked about it yet, but seeing him again after five years actually made me realize that I am being paranoid with you."

"I see." I said, but I really don't see.

"So don't think about what happened this lunch anymore. I am sorry that I made you angry" He said, good-naturedly.

———————————————-

I am back to my office while Mew went out again. I didn't ask where he was going. I was afraid I wouldn't like his answer.

I pressed my intercom, "Olive, can you come to my office please."

A minute after, "Yes, Sir G."

"Please sit," I directed her to sit in the chair in front of my desk.

She sat, her eyes becoming serious when she saw how serious I just became. "What is it Sir?"

"Can you tell me about Jeremy?" I asked.

"Ummmm... Jeremy?" She said, pretending not to know who I am talking about.

"Yes Jeremy, Mew's ex best friend from five years ago." I said hinting to her that I already know this so she can't lie.

"I.... I don't know him that much Sir. I just met him a few times when I was in school." She said, twisting her hands.

"Olive, I promise you that whatever you say will stay between us." I said reassuring her.

"But I am loyal to Sir Mew." She said.

"What does loyalty have to do with this? He is just a best friend right?"

She is turning red now, "Well, yes."

"Olive, please. let's not beat around the bush. Just tell me."

"I don't know much really Sir. I saw him with Sir Mew when I was younger. They were always together. Then I stopped seeing him. Then this office," She looked at my office, "was made for him."

I think my heart just dropped to the floor. "What do you mean? This building was made just three years ago? If he was gone longer than that, it doesn't make sense."

"I don't know either Sir. But this was made for him, the guards were even given instructions that if a man named Jeremy Hunt comes to the building, he was to be given full access."