Chapter 10: Mew

Friendzoned

How to be friends with someone you like

How to turn a straight guy gay

These are just a few of the phrases I have searched in Google the first day back in the city and as per my research, chances to turn a straight guy gay is  very slim.

I unlocked my phone and went to Lips folder, reviewed the previous bullet points and decided to delete everything including the folder. I just realized that being too organized won't work with Gulf. At this point, I might just settle to being friends. I fingered the shells in the necklace hidden underneath my shirt.

"Sir?"

I looked up to see Olive by the door peeping, "Are they here Olive?"

She nodded.

"Let them in then get us coffee."

She opened the door further and guided Mr McQueen Sr. and Gulf to come in. I stood up to welcome them both.

I offered my hand for a handshake, "Thank you for accepting my request to meet early. Please make yourself comfortable."  I directed them to the couch.

"So what is this about Mr Bennett?" It seems that McQueen Sr wants this to be over very fast.

"Congratulations on the exhibit Mr McQueen. I heard from my secretary that it was a success."

Gulf is sitting on the single couch beside his father. He looks relaxed and as always, he doesn't have a clue why I invited him either, nor is he curious enough.

Mr McQueen Sr. is very uncomfortable, "The exhibit was a success. We were able to showcase the company's collection of fabrics. We are proud to have something that could represent most regions in the country."

He is also bragging, "You are right. I have always been impressed with how your company established a footprint in most regions of the country."

"So what is this about Mr Bennett?" He said while Olive placed 3 coffee cups in the sofa table.

"I have a proposal for you."

"We already know that you want to merge."

"I am not interested in merging anymore."

They looked at each other. "What are you saying?" Mr McQueen Sr. asked.

"I'd like to invest instead, just a few millions. You will still have control of your company."

"What's the catch?" Gulf asked.

I looked at both of them. "I'd like Gulf to work as the Chief Brand Officer for my company along with 3 people from your company who can teach my people in branding and promote good relationship with our clients."

They were both speechless so I explained further. "Most of the people in my company are IT professionals and analysts. Only a few are in marketing and sourcing. Your company's strength is your relationship with your people and your clients. I wanted to merge to primarily adapt your best practices while implementing advance technology our company can offer. However, when I spent time with Gulf, I realized that the foundation that you built through the years is greatly centered with your people. It would be a conflict of interest for me to merge and introduce new ways without touching your people. So instead of merging, I'd invest. You still have control. My only ask is for you to lend me Gulf along with three of your best people for a year and help grow my sourcing team."

Mr McQueen Sr. loosened his tie, "I can lend you three people. I don't even need to think about it, As for my son though, I'll let him decide."

I looked at Gulf. To say that he is shocked is an understatement. "Well, if there's something in common with you and dad, it's that you both use me like I don't have my own mind. I don't plan to work in both your companies." He stood up and tried to exit.

I stood up alarmed and gripped his arm enough to stop him from moving, "That's not my intention Gulf."

"Look man, I respect you. I actually thought that you are a good person. You just have a shitty way of handling things." He is pissed.

"Hence, the reason I need you. 1 year Gulf, please help my company."

He looked at me. He knows I don't easily beg. "I'll think about it." Then he turned to his dad, "I'll go ahead."

---------------------------------------------------

I was signing some documents at around 4 when my cellphone rang. It's Gulf.

"Gulf."

"Okay. But I have conditions."

"I'm listening." I said hiding my triumph.

"Compensate the three employees double their salary now." That's easy.

"Deal."

"And 8 months. I will work with you for 8 months only." This is not enough time.

"I don't think 8 months is enough to build a friendly image of the company."

"I can do it."

"What if you can't?"

"Then I'll extend."

I stayed silent for a few seconds.  "Okay. I'll draft the contract. I need you to start Monday next week."

"I still have one last condition." Still?

"Okay. Tell me."

"You will sign a non-compete form. You cannot pirate the manufacturers and dealers our company is affiliated to."

"You know that's insane right? Your company is scattered all over the country, three quarters of the country to be exact. I'll lose my business."

"There are still others that we haven't touched, like the pineapple plantation. You can focus on unique fabrics. There are also a lot of dealers that we are not asosciated with, you still have a lot of choices."

I was silent for a while, thinking about this. I will invest in their company, a few losses in mine is a gain of interest on my investments with them.

"I would need a guaranteed share in your company then."

I heard him murmuring. He must be talking to his father. "15% Mew with an option to buy you out after 8 months."

That's good enough for now. "Deal. I'll draft the contract."

-----------------------------------------------

"Olive, can you come to my office." I said through the intercom.

She stepped in with her usual bubbly self. "It's almost weekend Sir, anything you need?"

"Yes. I'd like you to empty the office next to me and have it ready by Monday. Also, there are three available stations on the Marketing floor, make sure it's ready too."

"You mean Mr Hunt's room?" I looked at Olive intently. She remembers Jeremy.

"Yes, that room." I said with a hint of irritation.

"But you don't want me to touch that room remember?" She asked puzzled.

"I am telling you that now you can." I said tapping my hand on my table.

"But Sir, it's Friday." She is whining again.

"Your shift ends at 7, you still have 2 hours to ask help from the building maintenance crew."

"Oh right, right." She looks relieved.

"How long have you been working for me Olive?"

"You should know Sir, you hired me." She saw my exasperated face. "I mean almost three years now Sir."

"And how long have I known you?"

"Since I was a baby."

"Olive, know that my patience for you is because of the deep affection I have for your family and because of my trust to your father. It is not because of your work performance. I need you to step up, prove me wrong, show me that you can be better. I need you to be more articulate now that we have a new tenant in the next office by Monday and you will also be attending to him during his stay here. Understood?"

"Yes Sir Mew. I will make you proud and prove you wrong."