22. Before The Wedding

The outskirts of the household of Chen is melancholic, as if someone has died. The morning was blue, the noon is sunny yet it's freezing. In the night, it was like having a nightmare. Li Jie's brothers were as quiet as the vast land. The household is somewhat peaceful yet not at the same time. Not that Li Jie couldn't handle it, but his brothers didn't even move their lips when they are eating their supper. This was supposed to be a good time for the brothers to laugh and having a bonding since all of them were present. But, they can't even look at their youngest properly. Li Wei was sighing as he served the dinner for the brothers. They didn't even noticed the servant who was along with his master all day. Li Jie was helpless, it's not like he has a choice. If he will not do this, the safety of his family will be at risk. Liu is persistent to kill him. But, if he will become his wife then the safety of his family will be at the General's responsibility. For him, this is just a game marriage. Because he knew, the General will let him go after he dispose that Minister.

The house was quiet. Only crickets echoed way louder in the night making the situation more awkward. Or maybe, it is because they were asleep in the middle of the night. However, he could feel them. They weren't asleep.

Li Jie was in his room staring at the red hanfu hanging on the left side of the bed. He remembered how he first woke up in this world. He was frantic that time, and to his surprise, he also wore a luxurious red hanfu. He never would have thought that he would wear such dress again.

He wanted to become a doctor, not a housewife. He wanted to invent some miraculous things such as penicillin, making doctor apparatuses, and help his family grew wealthier. And now he reflected himself to that dress, he furrowed his brows and his nose scrunched. He tightened his grasp on the sheets of his bed. He was currently sitting on the bed and his clenched fingers crumpled the sheets as it was clearly supporting his body.

Li Jie was sad. He was sad because he was going to apart from his family. Not that it was his real family, but he grew a deep connection with them. However, it is good that the former owner of the body didn't experience the bitter encounter of the past events that Li Jie himself thinks that it was nerve wrecking. He wasn't even sure that the past owner could have escape from the dangerous den alive. Even if he had been alive, he was still going to die. At least, he didn't experience any pain. Or maybe, the only pain and fear of the former owner of the body is being separated by his family. If not, then Li Jie wouldn't have experienced deep pain in his chest just now.

Maybe, after the scheming Minister will meet his fall, he will be free again. After all they had an agreement. No matter what, he will not fall in love with the General. He swore to himself that he will not going to fall from the General.

For him he believed that he will not happen. After all, he was a man.

If that is possible, then he hoped that it will not happen. He don't want to be hurt.

Li Jie sighed, and plunged himself to his bed.

"Master." Li Jie heard Li Wei's voice outside his door and opened it for his apprentice.

"It is already deep in the night. Why are you still awake?" Li said as he looked at his apprentice who was lowering his head.

"I can't fall asleep. Maybe master could accompany me." Seeing Li Wei's dainty appearance and was pouting his lips as he carried his little doll, Li Jie's heart soften as he silently praised his apprentice for being so cute. Honestly, why did the daughter of Minister Liu let such child participate in assassination? Li Jie looked at his weak apprentice and sighed. Even if he was an assassin in his early days he didn't look like this dainty one.

Li Jie let Li Wei enter his room and let the 14 year old boy sleep in the bed with him. Li Jie was just like having a little brother on his own and his mood lifted up because of that.