38. Crimson Beetle: Night Of The Slaughter

The lamp flickered on Wenyan's desk, the night was peaceful and serene. However, his nights were not considered peaceful for he was worried about his friend, or he could say, his only love.

When Chen Guang left his side and retired in his position as the vice captain of the Crimson Beetle, he never went to search for another to replace his position. For him, Chen Guang was the only suitable person as his vice captain and to his heart.

Too bad that he liked the other person and didn't liked a man for his companion. Lian Hua was Chen Guang's only love since childhood and up until now. But he didn't expected that his family soon became a mess after a year of his position as a Chief Censor.

He heard that Lian Hua died while giving birth to her youngest son. Also, he died with hatred towards Chen Guang. Wenyan was distressed.

God knows he really cared for Chen Guang. He also knows what kind of person Chen Guang was. If provoked, he sure knows what would happen to Chen Guang's enemies.

He knew the situation for a long time. He also stretched his hand for him, he was willing to help every time Chen Guang needed help. In spite of his gentleness, Chen Guang refused his hospitality and wanted to solve it himself. Given by Chen Guang's stubbornness, he knew that no matter how he will persuade him, the answer will still remained the same.

Maybe, Chen Guang really did made a mistake about his decision.

He sighed, thinking about the days when they fought together in battle. The ruthlessness combined with gentleness always struck him deeper in his chest. As they went always together in battle, he didn't even knew that he fell in love with him.

Despite all his love, he hid it deep to himself and he will not reveal this stupid feeling of his. Because he knew, his love for Lian Hua is as much as how he loved him. Also, he also knows how Lian Hua loved Chen Guang more than her life.

He was just a friend in Chen Guang's eyes.

He sighed and looked at the jade pendant on his palm. He thought, this jade pendant was the most sacred thing between the two sworn families of Wang and Feng. This pendant was the key to the most treasured place in the Qin Empire. Of course, the Feng family was tasked to protect that place even if it cost them their lives.

He placed the jade pendant in the hidden floor under his table. No one would be able to find that pendant and only Feng Wenyan, the elder royal family and the Feng family would know.

But, the peaceful night was broken when a member of organization, Jiao Li rushed onto the general's office.

"Your Excellency! The manor was ambushed by black clothed men!"

"What?!" The general enraged. He picked up his Crimson Beetle sword and rushed towards the gate.

The soldiers were fighting in the Feng manor's grounds and he, Feng Wenyan rushed to the elders place. His sword slashed the invaders he met, blood spurted from walls to the ground. Heads flying in the air, beheaded by his sword. His heartbeat was fast, eyes bloodshot, hoping that the elders were okay.

The moment he entered, it was too late. His father and his mother were lifelessly laying on the ground, blood flowing on their mouths and to their necks. It was as if his world had been poured by the coldness. The moment he lay his eyes on them, his tears were overflowing with hatred and agony.

He knew that he was outnumbered and the Crimson Beetle was too exhausted to fight. He saw how the people in the manor were slaughtered. From the elder helpers, who were innocent about the fight were annihilated, the children were killed, the maidservants were dismembered.