Chapter 53 | boy

A/n: bit of a shorter chapter, but it's getting into the main case now.

So, this was the boy that survived the virus. You and L watched from the corner of the hospital room, as the boy was being checked up one last time to confirm he was healthy. The boy was small, even for his age, seemed curious as to what was going on.

"So... how will we go about this language barrier?" You asked.

"I know a lot of languages but Thai is not one of them... he knows basic English so we can hopefully work with that..." L replied.

This would be a rather hard situation, having to babysit a kid until you can take him to wammys on a dangerous case...

"Does he even have a name?" You asked.

"If he does we don't know it and he seems not to know either. Everyone has just been referring to him as 'the boy'. We might have to give him a nickname or something" L replied.

A doctor walked up to you, and looked down at his clipboard.

"Ok, so he's completely healthy. Apart from some very mild asthma but that has nothing to do with the virus. He should be completely ok and is free to walk around without any protective gear" he said.

"That's good, thank you for checking up on him" You replied.

"We'll wrap things up and send you all on your way"

And before you knew it you were in the car with a child, now under your temporary custody. You'd taken care of kids before, Mello, Matt and Near. But with a language barrier and the case it would be a bit challenging. He watched out the window as buildings went by, and seemed totally off in his own world.

"Ok so, I've got an idea how to go about the case... but it's a bit of a risk" L said.

"What case isn't a risk though" you replied.

"True. Anyway I think the best way to go about it is obviously get a copy of the antidote, but of course blue ship want that first so we'll have to find a way to get there first. Once we have it we can use that to keep ourselves safe and maybe wager with them to trick them into an arrest"

"Sounds good. Let's just hope nothing gets in the way"

"Hopefully nothing will... we still need to track down exactly where blue ship are. We know they're here in Japan but where exactly..."

"We know who the main suspects are... but we need to track them somehow. Maybe I'll get that FBI agent involved" L said.

"Suruga?"

"Yes, working with FBI is always such a hassle but we may need his ability to track organisations"

"Hmm... might have to. I can track but not very well in this situation. Kidnappings is my area of expertise..." you replied.

"And murder cases are mine, this is new for both of us. As for the boy, I'll have Watari talk to him and see if we can get some kind of decent communication through the language barrier. Then we can talk to him and find out what he knows from the village. Plus, that necklace..."

You looked over at the boy and his necklace, recognising it as one form wammys. Must be left by K and had a chip with the details he learnt inside it. A common wammys method.

"Oh yeah. Good thinking K..." you muttered.

Finally making it back to the safe house, it was already getting a bit hectic. The second boy made it inside, he was wandering around touching everything, picking things up and seemingly examining the whole room. You and L sighed, knowing this would be a task.

"Ah, I see he's already invested in picking everything up. As kids are..." Watari snickered.

Turning to face him, you gave him a tired look.

"Yep... looks like we'll be having a repeat of the boys as kids for a while" you sighed.

"Can you try and talk to him? We need to try and track blue ship as soon as possible" L asked.

"I'll try. See if you can get in contact with the lab doing the virus research as well, getting a copy of the antidote is vital" Watari added.

"I was just thinking that, we'll get on it"

Straight to the computers you went, and immediately took to attempting to find some way to track down blue ship. Taking an approach you took with kidnapping cases, you decided to try and find phone pings from the surrounding cell towers, it would take a while though which was rather frustrating. Meanwhile L looked into a way to contact the lab, and for them to actually hand over the antidote. It was confidential after all.

"Hang on..." L mumbled.

"What?"

"Dr. Kujo... she's working in the same lab as the antidote..."

"Isn't she a invoked in blue ship?" You asked.

"She is... that's not good, she's going to try and get the antidote through the lab"

"We better be quick then..."

Your goal now was to get the key to the antidote before she could take it and give it to blue ship, little did you know that as you spoke, she's already made a move...