Chapter 66 | Save Maki

Maki felt heavy. She seemed to be moving... but where?

Was she floating? No she was laying on something... what was on her head? she could feel something around it...

She was aware, but not awake. In that state when your body is still asleep but your mind is still awake. What happened?

Oh... that's right...

The previous day...

L was half asleep, he was laying in your lap as you worked on looking for antidote answers. It was early, today you'd be having a picnic together. Maki stood in the doorway peering in, having not slept the night before as she was thinking too much. Boy seemed to sleep fine on the sofa next ti her though. The bags you'd bought along with all your stuff sat on the bench just by the door.

Quietly, as not to alert you, Maki took L's burner phone and snuck upstairs. She stared at the keypad, was she really going to do this?

She was.

Punching in the number of the person she once trusted, she held the phone to her ear.

"Hello?" The voice said.

"Kujo" Maki replied.

"Oh you're finally giving in huh?"

"Never. But... if I want to succeed L one day I have to do this. And I want vengeance for my dad. If you promise to show up tonight ALONE... I'll give you the syringe I used to inject myself. There's still some of the virus in it you can use it as you please. But in return you have to stop chasing after me and the others" Maki explained.

It was silent for a moment. Kujo thinking. She knew what Makis plan was here. Blue ship wanted the syringe off maki before she injected herself, and now they were hunting her down to use as a test subject for the development of the antidote since she was infected. They'd make the exchange, blue ship would stop following them and from then it's a race to see who finds the antidote first. In her mind it was eliminating the risk of blue ship attacking L and his crew, and she seemed sure that they'd find the antidote first and essentially back blue ship into a corner.

Maki knew all L and the crew were missing was one single ingredient. You'd find it before blue ship could do anything. And this move she was planning would mean they'd stop following you so you can get it done faster.

"Alright. If we stop changing, you hand over the syringe so we can use what's left?" Kujo repeated.

"Yes. You come alone, we make the exchange and you leave"

"Deal. Now... where are you hiding?"

"The lab at the top of the hills next to the summer festival shrine. 8pm, or nothing"

With that, she hung up and put the phone in her pocket. For the rest of the day she acted natural, pretending that nothing even happened and enjoyed that picnic with you, L and boy. She felt kind of bad for not telling you, but she knew you'd never let her do this because of the risks. After said picnic she asked to go to the bathroom, but instead waited outside for Kujo. At 8 on the dot, she walked up to the front of the lab.

Maki held the box with the almost empty syringe in it, an angry look on her face.

"You're brave maki... making this exchange" Kujo taunted.

"I'll never forgive you for what you did to my dad. You hold up your end of this deal or you know full well L and (y/n) will roast your ass" Maki snarled.

"You don't understand do you? You're too young to get it..."

Maki glared at kujo. She didn't like that remark.

"This virus will wipe out all those who don't respect the planet. Those who do, they'll get the antidote. We're trying to save the planet, it's the only way" Kujo said.

"By killing innocent people? testing on humans? bombing an entire village? Killing my dad?" Maki spat.

"Sacrifices for the greater good. One day, you'll understand"

"I understand that you're insane. Your logic is flawed. If you want to save the planet there are ways to do it without killing people"

Kujo took a step toward Maki, but the young girl stood her ground.

"The syringe" Kujo said, holding out a hand for it.

Maki looked around, making for sure she was alone. She didn't see a single person, it seems she'd be going about the plan correctly. Holding out the box, Kujo reached for it. Time felt like it was going on slow motion. Kujo out one hand on the box, and before maki could react, she saw the other hand holding something sharp and she was suddenly jabbed in the neck with something.

She went to scream but Kujo grabbed her and covered her mouth so she couldn't, the box dropping to the floor. Maki tried to kick but very quickly she found herself getting suddenly tired. That's when it hit her, it was a sedative shot. She was passing out. She reached for her pocket to grab L's phone to try and call you for help, but became too weak and that dropped as well.

She went limp in Kujos arms, her last thoughts before blacking out being that of.

'I should have known. I let my previous relations with her warp my intuition'

Maybe she was too young... she wasn't even old enough to be a successor yet and she tried something this risky...

Kujo threw Makis limp body over her shoulder, picking up the box in the other hand and stepping on the phone to smash it.

Her plan worked, now she had to get to the airport.

Present day.

She felt horrible, that sedative did a number on her. That and her stomach felt strange, like there was a... buzzing in it almost. She felt hot as well... she felt sick.

"She's being transferred to another hospital for an emergency surgery. Poor thing has a kidney problem..."

Was that... Kujo? She wanted to get up and punch her, but she was still too weak.

"Aw... poor thing. So young too, hopefully everything goes well. That's if this plane ever takes off-"

PLANE? SHE WAS ON A PLANE?

It dawned on her she'd absolutely been kidnapped, and Kujo was using her as not only a test subject but bait for lure you and L out. She tried to muster up as much energy as she could, but it was hard. She could barely move.

The buzzing... it was still going. She's never had a tummy ache like that before. It'd been buzzing ever since she started coming into awareness.

She felt so sick she could barely wake up. Had the virus started to kick in? She was worried it had.

She hoped to all things holy that you and L would find her soon. She didn't want to be on this plane, and she didn't want to die.

If you had asked her about death about a week ago, she would have said 'let me be with my parents'. But she promised you and L that when she was old enough she'd become a successor and save people like you and L saved her. In a matter of days, you and L had re-inspired her will to live.

She wasn't dying yet.

She knew you'd come for her.