Chapter 6 | background

"Ok so if the suspect is is under 16 we have limited questioning hours"

"Got it, what if the parents consent to keeping them longer?"

"Them we can keep them longer as long as the parents are in the building"

You were currently helping A with some detective work, he was still training as L's successor as was B, but A was struggling with the work a little. Your arm was being pulled by the handcuffs as L set up some computers in the spare room you were in for the boys to study in.

B was reading some case files in a since solved case while eating jam right out of the jar.

They were progressing very well.

"This is all very confusing. So if they're a minor the charges are withheld until court, so they can't be kept in jail prior to a court session?" A said.

"Yes and no, it depends on the crime for if the culprit is unstable" you replied.

"So the more severe the crime, the more action taken?"

"Yes"

He wrote some notes and the silence was broken by L.

"Ok, it's been about 3 hours, we still have computers to set up so you boys can go if you like" he said.

"Ok, thanks L. Hey A wanna go to the arcade?" B said.

"Sure, thanks for the help (f/i)" A replied.

"No problem"

The boys got up and packed their stuff up.

"Race you there" B said, sprinting off.

"Hey not fair!" A replied, running after him.

You laughed at their behaviour and walked over to L.

"They're good friends aren't they?" He asked.

"Yep, they've been friends for as long as I've known them" you replied.

L plugged in come chords form the monitor to the console and the screen lit up.

"Can you pass the speakers?" He asked.

You reached over to grab them and handed them to him, he plugged them in and an alert popped up on the computer screen. You dismissed the alert, it was only a warning that something had been plugged in.

"I think that's it" he said.

"I think so, all the computer are done and there's no loose chords" you replied.

"Want to go to the park?"

"Sure"

The both of you wandered out of the orphanage and out the gate, ending up at the park next door. You each took a swing and let the wind gently blow you back and fourth.

"I never really talked to A and B as a kid... I was too shy to approach anyone but you, have they been this close prior to the orphanage?" He asked.

"I'm not sure, they did come to the orphanage at around the same time and they talked to each other a lot before I became friends with them, so I'm not too sure" you replied.

"A seems hesitant about everything he does... is there a reason?"

"He's just a naturally anxious person, he said he was like then even before his parents left him so it's just a sort of instinct for him"

"What about B? He's always thinking twelve steps ahead, is there a reason?"

"He tends to over analyse things. Other than that he's normal... apart from the jam. Although when we were little and we all got our checkups, he told me the doctor though he needed to be diagnosed with something. I never heard anything else about it though so maybe it was nothing"

"Was A ever diagnosed with anything?"

"Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had anxiety. Why so many questions?"

"Sorry, it's just... I want to know about my successors. I know a lot about you but not them. When I was told we were starting a successor program I didn't have much time to pick who they'd be. You were my first pick of course, then I looked through all the orphanages records and decided on A and B due to their amazing minds. I did a brief look into their personal details but I was pressed to make a quick decision so I picked the most academically able" he explained.

You suddenly saw the sun disappear behind a thick cloud cover. You looked up and felt the wind pick up a little.

"I think it's going to rain" you said.

"I think so, we should head back"

You jumped off the swings and began to make your way back to the orphanage.

"(Y/n)?" He said.

"Yeah?"

"When we finish this little case of ours,  do you want to start teaming up for cases more often? It's fun working with you"

"Sure, I'd love to. Traveling the world for cases with my best friend sounds great"

You took a few more steps before you felt the handcuffs pull, you turn to see L just standing there.

"You ok?" You asked.

"That felt weird"

"What?"

"Best friend. That felt weird" he said.

That's odd. What about calling him your best friend is strange?

"Maybe because I don't say best friend often? I always just call you L" you suggested.

"That's the only explanation I can think of... that felt weird though..."

Suddenly you felt rain start to pour down.

"Crap! Better run!" You said.

The both of you dashed back up the road and skidded into the gates of the orphanage, running up the driveway and into the first door, both of you now dripping.

You both took a moment to catch your breath as thunder began to sound outside.

"Knew it" he said.

"Lets dry off"

You both dried off and turned the heater on, both of you sitting in front of it in an attempt to dry the wet patches on your clothes.

"I get the feeling we won't be going to the park for a while"