Chapter 60 | halfway point

You held boy in your arms, curled up under the pile of bags and supplies in the back seat. So far your made it through the first few checks. Only a few to go, you and boy just had to stay quiet and let the others do the acting.

You honestly couldn't believe it was working, it was such a ridiculous plan dressing L up as a girl and Maki up as a boy to pretend they were a family and get past the checks set by blue ship. It was taking everything in your power to stay quiet.

"Can you stop calling me honey? It's weird" Suruga sighed.

"Hey I'm just making sure it's a convincing act. I'm meant to be a wife remember" L replied.

"You already have a girlfriend, call her honey not me"

"Can't you hear her snickering back there every time I say it?"

L was way too into this. What was he a drag queen now? And you really should stop snickering in case you give yourself away. Boy was being amazingly well behaved given the circumstances, he was too busy playing with the calculator he'd gotten from one of the bags as you both hid under them. Again, you were at a loss as to what he was trying to figure out with all these math problems, it was the same one every time as well.

"There's another check, everyone keep quiet and play along" L said.

"There's a few more up ahead after this too, once we're at the top of the road they're all done with" Watari added.

Even though you couldn't see what was going on, you could hear everything. Feel the van move and every time it came to a stop your anxiety peaked a little.

"Good evening, may I ask your business?" A voice said.

"Where just spending the weekend at the summer festival" suruga replied.

"Can I see some ID?"

It was silent for a moment, as suruga handed over that fake ID of his.

"Alright, and where will you be staying?"

"My... wife... has family up here" suruga said.

You could just tell L was probably holding back laugher at having to be called a wife.

"Ok, there's two more checks to go and if you've gotten this far you'll be fine. It's all just a precaution to do with the potential infection situation" the voice said.

"Understandable, have a good night!"

"You too"

And with that the van drove off again and you let out a sigh of relief. You could hear Maki snicker in the back seat just above you.

"I can't believe this is working!" She said.

"Honestly me too" suruga replied.

"This reminds me of when my family would go in vacation. We'd take a little beat up car like this and... and we'd go on road trips... and..."

She trailed off, a crack in her voice. The wounds of her father dying mere days ago and her mother having died the year prior were still fresh, and reminiscing clearly made her rather upset. You could hear her sniffle, likely crying at the painful reminder she'd never see her parents again.

"L... what's going to happen to me after this?" She said, pain in her voice.

"If your grandparents were still around we'd have sent you to live with them, but since they aren't once you've been recovered you'll come with us back to my orphanage, that has been sorted right Watari?" L explained.

"It has, she and boy will come back to wammys with us. Boy will take some language lessons and get a proper name as well. Therapy sessions will be provided after such a traumatic event as well" Watrai replied.

Usually this information would never be disclosed around other people, but since suruga was officially an agent in collusion with wammys as of this case it would be discussed openly. The FBI deemed him fit to replace miss Mirora Massacre herself, and so far he was proving himself. Naomi was a trusted agent under L, and he was taking her place after she left to get married.

"The kids will be exited to have new friends, they always are"

"Yeah until you beat them up" you said from under the bags.

"Shut up I got scared and I was like 5 ok? That was just a me thing" L snickered.

"Is it nice there?" Maki asked.

"Me and (y/n) grew up there, and I have three successors that'll be pleased to meet you. Everything will be ok, I promise"

"Ok another checkpoint. Second last one" Watari said.

As you approached the checkpoint, from under the seats and bags you reached out to discretely grab makis ankle as the equivalent of wrapping an arm around her. She leaned down to look under the seat and gave you a smile as she wiped her tears away. You smiled back and as the van came to a stop she sat up again to pretend to be a boy again.

You listened to the same conversation happen again, at this point you were so close to making it you knew you'd be fine. Staying quiet under those bags have you much needed time to think. You'd have to call the boys to check up on them when you get to the lab. You'd have to try and organising that meeting with L's birth dad. Both he and you wanted the story of what happened as some kind of closure so badly. Hopefully Maki wouldn't suffer symptoms too bad... there was just so much to think about.

What would you name boy? He and Maki would need a wammys letter in the future, what ones would they get? When this case is over and you're back in England, what would happen next? Another case or a break?

You and L were essentially foster parents for the successors, and now Maki and Boy as well. That makes five kids, can you really do this?

And what the hell was up with this math equation boy was so obsessive over?

You'd have to ponder if everything more when things slow down. And hopefully that wouldn't take long. All you needed was to get to the lab, make an antidote, and arrest blue ship.

Surely there's be no more bumps in the road right?