Chapter 69 | home bound

"You're coming home?"

"We'll be back by tomorrow"

The excitement on the other end of the phone could be heard pretty obviously by all the shuffling around and chatter.

"What time will you be here?" Matt asked.

"About midday England time. Look I'd love to talk more but we have a flight to catch, and remember news kids are coming with us" you replied.

"Ok! We can't wait to see you guys again" Mello added.

"Drive back from the airport as fast as legally possible!" Near jumped in.

You snickered at their adorable excitement.

"Alright, alright. See you tomorrow"

With a series of goodbyes, you hung up and stuffed your phone in your pocket. When you turned back to the main room you were met with the rush to make sure everything was packed and ready to go. L stuffing his multiple white shirts into suitcases, Watari packing up laptops and the kids zipping up their backpacks of the few things they had. You were smart and packed your stuff last night for the sole purpose of avoiding this rush.

"Move it people we have a plane to catch" you teased.

"Yeah, yeah. At least this one won't crash into the airport full of infected passengers" L replied.

You walked up to Maki, who sat on the floor tying her shoes.

"You feeling ok?" You asked.

"Yeah. I'm still kind of sore" she replied.

After a few weeks in recovery she was still a bit drowsy and achy from the medication and getting over a deadly virus, but she was alive and vaccinated. A few bandaids up her arms from needles and IV drips and some scars from the rashes but other than that, she was ok.

"You'll be already in a few weeks, the worst of it is over" you replied.

"I'm covered in scars now. I bet I'll get picked on..."

"Don't worry. I'm covered in scars too. And you won't get picked on at wammys for scars, a lot of the kids have them from various situations" L jumped in, dragging his suitcase to the pile of bags by the door.

Maki gave him a slight smile, happy to know she wasn't alone with all these scars. Once all the bags were packed and in the car on the way to the airport, you had to rush there so you wouldn't miss your flight. But in the backseat of the car on the way you had another thing to add to the kids. Boy was getting better at English, hopefully he'd understand at least some of this.

"The first few weeks at wammys you'll just be settling in and getting used to things. But after that you'll both be starting classes with the others, and because of this rather traumatic situation you were both in, after classes you'll have a a therapy session. The current successors will help you out with anything you need, and if they can't help come find us ok?" You explained.

"Ok, I can't wait to start school so life will at least seem somewhat normal again" Maki replied.

"I do English lesson?" Boy asked.

"You'll have some extra English lesson yes. You're already learning very well so I think you'll be good at it" you replied.

"Playtime?"

"You'll get playtime at recess and lunch and on weekends"

He seemed pleased with that, when she wasn't doing math he was taking things apart and putting them back together. You had the feeling he and Near will get along well.