Chapter 16 | baby steps

It was a start at least. You'd realised your feelings, you knew that L must have some form of connection to you thanks to A, but even then everything was still going slowly.

Baby steps.

L still couldn't really understand his own feelings and it doesn't help that you'd changed your behaviour. You see, when you finally realised you liked L, all that confidence you had around him drained your body, you were all shy now. Maybe it was the fear of a bad outcome or just nerves, but it was a setback. And when L noticed your sudden change in behaviour, he got a little confused.

Which means you were under interrogation.

L wanted to know why you suddenly lost all your confidence, and he wasn't going to stop until he knew why.

"Are you sure you're ok? You seem off" he asked.

"I'm fine, really" you replied.

"But you seem all... timid? You're not sick are you?"

"No"

"Uh, tired?"

"I'm always tried"

"Menstruating?"

"Last week"

"Pregnant?"

"Who would I have banged?"

"Point taken, just covering all options. Are you sure you're not sick?"

He put a hand up to your forehead, his suddenly touch making you go red.

"You feel fine, but you did the thing again" he said.

"The thing?"

"You know when I touch you and you get all red"

"O-oh that thing..."

It was more embarrassing now that you knew why. How could he not feel it too? Maybe it's just because he hasn't realised. You wanted to tell him, but the fear was holding you back, and A did say to give it a week or two to build up your confidence.

"You're stammering a lot more, and doing that thing where you play with your hands and kick your feet, you do that when you're stressed about something"

"I do?"

"You do, it's pretty obvious. Well, to me at least" he said, grabbing a cookie and taking a bite out of it.

You knew being like this would just make him rain questions down on you like a hail of bullets, but you couldn't really help it.

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask, what do you do when I un-cuff to take a shower? You always come back hours later" he said.

You froze, that's the time you used to update your case file. The one on L you started when you were 5, the one he definitely couldn't know about.

"Just read or watch TV or play video games or something, I usually loose track of time" you lied.

L tilted his head.

"I know that's not true but I guess I shouldn't ask if you won't tell me" he said.

"Seriously it's nothing, I just get bored and want to pass the time with something"

"Hm, half true. You do get bored, but every time it's the same, you spend the same amount of time in your room and it's always quiet, you can't be studying since you finished your schooling... and we're working on cases together so you wouldn't be doing case wor- ah, I guess if you won't tell me I shouldn't even bother asking, I know you, you're good at keeping secrets. Just not so good at hiding the fact you have a secret"

He wasn't wrong. You could take things to the grave, but you'd always end up looking suspicious.

"Well you're not that good at it either. You can keep a secret really well but everyone will know you have a secret" you said.

"True"

He picked up another cookie and took a bite, licking the icing off it.

"You actually slept last night" you said, trying to keep the conversation running.

"Yes, I seemed to have just burnt out. I guess that's karma for staying awake for weeks on end. I assume you were awake?"

"Yeah, I just kind of sat there. It's pretty boring when you're asleep, I don't have anyone to talk to... not with the handcuffs on anyway. But I do want you get more sleep"

"Why? Isn't it better I stay awake to finish case work?"

"B-But... I worry about your health you know"

He gave you another head tilt.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because you're my... friend"

"Ugh... friend, why does that word feel so bad?"

You knew why, because there's a spark that you haven't get ignited into a full flame between you. Gosh, you're freaking 16 and still haven't had a boyfriend, and the perfect one is connected to you by a handcuff and you still can't get it out.

Hell, you'll both be 17 soon. Better get a move on.

Not that there's anything wrong with being single until your an adult, but when the guy you want has been there since you were a child it gets kind of frustrating.

Maybe you should try and push L in the right direction and help him realise his own feelings, even if it backfires and he doesn't like you your little case would be solved.

Maybe... maybe you should just ignore what A said and straight up tell him?