Chapter 38 | conviction

Something about skin to skin cuddles was soothing, you'd fallen asleep pretty fast after all the fooling around last night. Waking up in a tangled mess of limbs intertwined around each other. The only sounds were the occasional floor board creeks of people walking down the hall, some birds outside and each others soft breathing.

You could have stayed in that state forever, up against L and just bathing in the soft noises of the morning. But it was rudely interrupted by the loud sound of a phone ringing. Hearing L let out an annoyed groan you felt him reach over to to grab the mobile and answer it.

"Hello?... That was fast... he... what?"

You felt him sit up, you rubbed your eyes and sat up too, looking over at him as he talked. He seemed confused and worried. Who was he talking to?

"Why would he?... ok.... and the trial will take place in LA? Where is he now? Prison or hospital?... hospital ok..."

Hospital? Was this about B? What had he done now. You had such mixed feelings on B. You grew up his best friend and now he's a serial killer... you didn't know if you should despise him or feel bad.

"Ok... I'll handle the rest. Thank you"

With that he hung up, letting out a disappointed sigh.

"What was that about?" You asked.

"B... he tried to kill himself. Set himself on fire, Naomi caught him and now he's being convicted of murder. He's in a high security hospital with third degree burns all over his body...".

He... what? You knew he was definitely not mentally healthy... but suicidal? Or was this driven by the case not mental health?

"Holy... he'll live?" You said.

"Yeah he will. Just behind bars with some horrible burn scars"

"What are we doing case wise now..?"

"I think we should go to LA, to talk to him face to face. Under Alias of course. He'd know who we are but I can't imagine he'd try any tell anyone. Especially not about you, he was definitely protective of you. Almost like he saw you as family. It would probably tie up some loose ends..."

You both sat silent for a moment. Why on earth would he do that? Was it spite? Or... was it A? It was after A died he started to spiral.

"Well... lets get dressed, get some breakfast and then go inform Watari. He can probably organise a week in LA..." you said.

L sighed, leaning over to wrap his arms around you. He was clearly taking this case harder than most since he knew the people involved. You hugged him tight, gently rubbing his back.

"Well at least one good thing has happened in the last 24 hours" you joked.

"Well yeah, but you still committed a crime"

"Oh? Did I steal your heart again?"

"My heart and my virginity you thief" he joked back.

"Oh no, you better convict me then"

"Next time, you tease"

Laughing at your own stupid jokes, you broke the hug with a good morning kiss and got up to get dressed. L was about to grab the handle to the door once he was in his usual hour jeans and white shirt when you stopped him.

"Woooahhh not yet honey" you said.

"What, why?"

"Look at your neck"

He walked over to the mirror where you stood brushing your hair and he was met with the reflection of his neck throughly marked by you.

"Oh so the criminal has left evidence has she?" He said.

These puns are never going to stop are they?

"Looks like we need a police cover up" you replied, pulling some makeup out of your drawers.

"You're not putting that on me"

"Oh stop complaining. Unless you want Watari teasing them shit out if you and a long awkward conversation with the boys..."

"... ok fine" he sighed.

Once you'd successfully covered all your dirty work and set the foundation you put everything away and gave him a teasing look.

"See that wasn't so bad"

"Makeups just so... slimy"

"Get used to it, I bet you 100 dollars you'll have to use it for disguises in one of your whacky cases one day"

"Bet"

"I'll remember this. The day you come to me asking me for eyeliner I expect $100"

You both made your way down the halls of the orphanage to go tell Watari were the case was at, then go get breakfast. But just as you were about to turn the corner into the next wing of the orphanage, three familiar boys came skidded out of the lunchroom in front of you.

"Why are you awake so late! You said you'd teach us more about the Internet!" Matt said.

Oh... well, better not tell the events of last night to a bunch of kids. Let's leave that detail out.

"Something happened in the case" you said.

"Oohhh, what happened?" Mello asked.

You and L looked at each other and quickly came to a conclusion.

"I'll go tell Watari, you explain the whole LA thing to the boys" L said.

"Sure thing"

Leaving him with a kiss on the cheek, you ushered the boys back into the lunch room and sat at the back tables away from the other kids.

"So, you all know a killer has been on the loose in LA, well... he tried to burn himself and got caught" you began.

"So the case is over?" Near asked.

"Not just yet. We still need a motive and he has to go to trial. So we'll be going to LA for a week or two soon to close the case"

"What why do you have to leave? Can't you close the case here?" Matt asked.

"It's only for a week or so, we'll be back. And we have to go there because well... we know the killer personally"

"Woah really? Who is it?" Mello asked.

"Remember how L used to have successors before you?"

They boys all looked at each other, shocked.

"He was a successor?"

The boys don't know the details of A and B. They just know that there were previous successors.

"I'm sure L will tell you all the case details when it's all over. But I guess it's time you learnt about the old successors and why so many changes happened here at wammys because of them..."

A/n: just a warning, I'll be messing with the canon timeline from here on out so I can fit in the blue ship case and the Kira case. So no, the timeline isn't completely canon compliant but the cases are all cases from the canon franchise. So yes, spoilers for the blue ship case will be in this book so if you don't want that, read L change the world first.